With an address in Dayton, Ohio, Otterbein Springboro is one of 34 options in the area. Featuring an overall grade of C, this is likely a decent facility. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Dayton, which is admittedly a little below average nationally. This facility did not excel in every category we looked at, but it did not receive any terrible grades either. More information about its category grades is available below.
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home earned a favorable short-term care rating this year. We gave them a strong grade in that area, with a B+. In determining our short-term care ratings, we scrutinize the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. This score is typically a fair assessment of a nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. It does not appear that this facility provided information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The last measure we looked at in this category is the number of residents that were able to return home from the facility. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
This nursing home's second best category is inspections. In that category, we gave this facility a B. It actually outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Inspection scores account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this area typically have very few severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple of minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Does this page answer your questions about Otterbein Springboro?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given its third most favorable category grade in the category of long-term care. We awarded this facility a C in this category, which is an acceptable grade. Long-term care grades assess a nursing home's personal care instead of the skilled therapy and healthcare services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to discover that this facility vaccinated 96.350365 percent of its patients for pneumonia. This facility also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The next category we analyzed is nursing, which is a weak link for this nursing home. We gave this nursing home a grade of D in the area of nursing. We analyzed the levels of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the number of hours those nurses were with patients, in computing our grade in this category. This nursing home provided just 0.5 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This statistic is quite a bit below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This facility fared well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these metrics to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Otterbein Springboro Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Otterbein Springboro, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Otterbein Springboro, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who had falls leading to serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Otterbein Springboro, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Otterbein Springboro, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Otterbein Springboro, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Otterbein Springboro, 20% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some experts argue that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Otterbein Springboro, 90.19% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Otterbein Springboro, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Otterbein Springboro, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who maintained mobility.
In Otterbein Springboro, 1.39 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Otterbein Springboro, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Otterbein Springboro, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Otterbein Springboro, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Dayton, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Dayton, Ohio has 33 other nursing homes
- Sycamore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.64 miles away4000 Miamisburg-Centerville Road Miamisburg Ohio 45342Voluntary non-profit - Church(937) 384-8776
- Kettering Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.49 miles away3535 Southern Boulevard Dayton Ohio 45429Voluntary non-profit - Church(937) 395-8165
- Grandview Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.59 miles away405 Grand Avenue Dayton Ohio 45405Voluntary non-profit - Other(937) 723-3200
- Soin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.4 miles away3535 Pentagon Park Blvd Dayton Ohio 45431Voluntary non-profit - Private(937) 702-4000
- Greene Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.48 miles away1141 North Monroe Drive Xenia Ohio 45385Voluntary non-profit - Private(937) 352-2000
- West Chester Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 17.73 miles away7700 University Drive West Chester Ohio 45069Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 298-7700
- Fkc- Centerville Home4.16 miles away7700 Washington Village Drive Dayton Ohio 45459Dialysis Stations: 1 (614) 746-4623
- Fmc - Dayton Regional Dialysis-South,Inc4.19 miles away7700 Washington Village Drive, Suite 100 Dayton Ohio 45459CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (937) 438-9595
- Davita - Dialysis Centers of Warren County4.3 miles away90 Commercial Way Springboro Ohio 45066Dialysis Stations: 10 (937) 704-0589
- Davita - Kettering Dialysis6.9 miles away5721 Bigger Road Dayton Ohio 45440Dialysis Stations: 17 (937) 435-4030
- Davita - Miamisburg Dialysis7.03 miles away290 Alexandersville Dialysis Miamisburg Ohio 45342Dialysis Stations: 1 (937) 865-0633
- Davita - Dayton South Dialysis8.23 miles away4700 Springboro Pike Dayton Ohio 45439Dialysis Stations: 17 (937) 294-7188
- Davita - Lebanon Dialysis8.75 miles away918 B Columbus Avenue Lebanon Ohio 45036Dialysis Stations: 16 (513) 934-0272
- Davita - Home Dialysis of Dayton South9.38 miles away3030 S Dixie Drive Dayton Ohio 45409Dialysis Stations: 2 (937) 296-1171