Otterbein Portage Valley is located in Pemberville, Ohio. This nursing home is a solid facility, with an overall grade of B-. Based on our ratings, this facility ought to meet the needs of many people. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's report card is its remarkable inspection reports, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Otterbein Portage Valley
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
20311 Pemberville Rd,
Pemberville OH 43450
100.2% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this ended up being a decent nursing home is that it earned an excellent inspection grade. Its inspection grade was far superior to its overall score. In our inspections category, we gave it an A. Arguably the most significant factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Places with higher grades in this category most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this place had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's more favorable category grades was in the category of short-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a B. With our short-term care rating, we strive to create a meaningful measure for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we analyze the nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents that eventually returned home from the facility. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Otterbein Portage Valley?
This nursing home's next best category was nursing. We awarded it a grade of B- in this category. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this category. Our nursing rating considers a number of datapoints. The most heavily weighted factor is the amount of time nurses spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This figure is far below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home fared better in some of the quality measures we assessed. It scored well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we graded is long-term care, turned out to be this nursing home's worst area. We gave this facility a D in this category. This really was one of the few weak links on an otherwise strong profile. For prospective residents in need of a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are an important measure. After looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 98.36066 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is higher than the majority of nursing homes. Surprisingly, this place also fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Otterbein Portage Valley Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Otterbein Portage Valley, 7.3% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Otterbein Portage Valley, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percent of long-term care residents who suffered falls which caused major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Otterbein Portage Valley, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care limits the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Otterbein Portage Valley, 12.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for many conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Otterbein Portage Valley, 21.99% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care residents that are given antianxiety medication. These drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Otterbein Portage Valley, 21.39% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Otterbein Portage Valley, 88.91% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Otterbein Portage Valley, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Otterbein Portage Valley, 12.66% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Otterbein Portage Valley, 12.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Otterbein Portage Valley, 12.98 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Otterbein Portage Valley, 75.85% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
- Bay Park Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.79 miles away2801 Bay Park Drive Oregon Ohio 43616Voluntary non-profit - Other(419) 690-7700
- Wood County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.16 miles away950 West Wooster Street Bowling Green Ohio 43402Voluntary non-profit - Private(419) 354-8900
- St Luke's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.93 miles away5901 Monclova Road Maumee Ohio 43537Voluntary non-profit - Other(419) 893-5900
- Northwest Ohio Psychiatric HospitalPsychiatric 14.03 miles away930 South Detroit Avenue Toledo Ohio 43614Government - State(419) 381-1881
- University of Toledo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.49 miles away3000 Arlington Avenue Toledo Ohio 43699Government - State(419) 383-4848
- Mercy Health St Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.83 miles away2213 Cherry Street Toledo Ohio 43608Voluntary non-profit - Church(419) 251-3232
- Toledo Hospital TheAcute Care Hospitals 16.95 miles away2142 North Cove Boulevard Toledo Ohio 43606Voluntary non-profit - Private(419) 291-7463
- Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.05 miles away715 South Taft Avenue Fremont Ohio 43420Voluntary non-profit - Other(419) 334-6617
- Davita - Northwood Dialysis11.05 miles away611 Lemoyne Road Northwood Ohio 43619CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (419) 698-3423
- Fmc - Perrysburg Dialysis11.59 miles away701 Commerce Drive Perrysburg Ohio 43551Dialysis Stations: 13 (419) 874-3447
- Us Renal Care of Bowling Green12.14 miles away1037 Conneaut Street, Suite 101 Bowling Green Ohio 43402Dialysis Stations: 12 (419) 353-1080
- Davita - Maumee Bay Dialysis12.85 miles away3310 Dustin Drive Oregon Ohio 43616Dialysis Stations: 18 (419) 697-2191
- Total Renal Care, Inc.12.92 miles away4330 Keystone Drive Maumee Ohio 43537Dialysis Stations: 12 (419) 887-0762
- Fresenius Medical Care Maumee Home LLC12.92 miles away6546 Weatherfield Ct Maumee Ohio 43537Dialysis Stations: 4 (419) 865-4554
- Davita Lucas County Home Training13.08 miles away2702 Navarre Ave Oregon Ohio 43616Dialysis Stations: 1 (419) 691-1514
- Davita Starr Dialysis13.77 miles away403 E. Broadway St. Toledo Ohio 43605Dialysis Stations: 12 (419) 691-3227