Orange Healthcare & Wellness Centre is located in Orange, California, a city with a population of 141,692 people. Featuring an overall rating of D, this is a well below average facility. If you are not satisfied with this facility's low overall grade, you may find you have slim pickings in Orange. The city has just two other nursing homes. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss nursing in the next paragraph.
Orange Healthcare & Wellness Centre
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
920 West La Veta Street,
Orange CA 92868
78.66% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Although this facility's overall score was not a highlight, it actually received a somewhat respectable score in the area of nursing. We awarded it a B- for that category. When calculating a nursing home's nursing rating, we assess the amount of time nurses are caring for residents as well as the levels of training of those nurses. This nursing home provides an impressive 4.1 hours of nursing care per resident per day. While this place excelled in terms of quantity of nursing hours, it fell short in some of the metrics that focused on quality. This nursing home's nursing grade was pulled down by its weak performance in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers. We found that 12.7 percent of this nursing home's patients were suffering from pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's short-term care score appears to be one of its better grades. The nursing home was awarded a grade of B- in this category. In our short-term care category, we endeavor to forge a valuable gauge for rehabilitation. In this process, we look at the nursing home's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. We were extremely impressed to find that this facility offers its residents substantially more physical therapist hours than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that it performed decently in this area, with 48.5 percent of its residents returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Orange Healthcare & Wellness Centre?
We were also pleasantly surprised to give this facility a favorable inspection grade as well. We awarded it a B- in this area. Inspection ratings are based on many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to patient safety. This nursing home was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that CMS did not deem any of these deficiencies to create an immediate threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we scored is long-term care. This nursing home was given a bottom of the barrel grade of F in that area. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Fortunately, this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients, which is an above average datapoint. Surprisingly, this facility also wasn't as bad as we expected at keeping its patients out of the hospital. While it had 1.94 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, its risk adjusted metric was not bad since it had some more complex patients.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Orange Healthcare & Wellness Centre Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Orange Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Orange Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term patients who sustained falls resulting in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Orange Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term patients who experienced a UTI. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Orange Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for many conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Sadly, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Orange Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who are administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Orange Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 4.32% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients showing depressive symptoms. High levels of depression could be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Orange Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 96.21% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Orange Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Orange Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Orange Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Orange Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Orange Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 9.82 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Orange Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 79.69% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements.
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.26 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.83 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- Chapman Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.08 miles away2601 E Chapman Ave Orange California 92869Proprietary(714) 633-0011
- Orange County Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.48 miles away1001 North Tustin Avenue Santa Ana California 92705Proprietary(714) 953-3610
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.96 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- South Coast Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.96 miles away2701 S Bristol St Santa Ana California 92704Proprietary(714) 754-5454
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Orange County - AnaheAcute Care Hospitals 5.2 miles away3440 E La Palma Ave Anaheim California 92806Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 279-4000
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.13 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- Satellite Healthcare Orange0.37 miles away1518 W. La Veta Avenue Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 285-9675
- Davita-Main Place Dialysis Center0.61 miles away146 South Main Street Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (714) 938-0870
- Fmc-University Dialysis Center of Orange0.79 miles away1809 W. Chapman Avenue Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (714) 634-3583
- St. Joseph Hospital Renal Center0.86 miles awaySr. Elizabeth Bldg. 1100 W. Stewart Drive Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (714) 771-8037
- Davita-Tustin Dialysis Center1.88 miles away2090 N. Tustin Avenue, Suite 100 Santa Ana California 92705CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 835-2450
- St. Joseph Hospital Dialysis Center-Santa Ana2.55 miles away2212 E. 4th Street, Suite 101 Santa Ana California 92705CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (714) 571-7850
- Fmc-South Orange County2.86 miles away2020 E. First Street, Suite 100 Santa Ana California 92705CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 972-1236
- Davita-Tustin Ranch Dialysis2.98 miles away721 W 1st Street Tustin California 92780Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 544-0079