O'neill Healthcare Lakewood is an average-sized facility in Lakewood, Ohio. Sporting an overall score of A-, this nursing home is ranked among the higher-graded facilities we looked at. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top third of all nursing homes nationally. The best part of this facility's impressive profile was its inspection rating. We discuss inspections in the next section
O'neill Healthcare Lakewood
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to earning a quality overall score, this nursing home also earned excellent inspections recently. We gave it one of our best grades in that area, with a grade of A. Our inspection scores weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this area typically have very few of these severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also fared very well in the category of short-term care, where we awarded it a grade of A. Few facilities performed better in this category. Short-term care ratings are based on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a vast spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from this facility. We found that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about O'neill Healthcare Lakewood?
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A-. Nursing grades are heavily correlated with quality and quantity of nursing care. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving patients more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we graded was long-term care. This facility was awarded a strong long-term care grade in our assessment, with a grade of B-. While this is not nearly as strong as some of its other scores, this is still a decent score for this category. If you are looking for anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care scores. After considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. We were optimistic to learn that this facility vaccinated 99.28571 percent of its patients for pneumonia. This facility also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
O'neill Healthcare Lakewood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In O'neill Healthcare Lakewood, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In O'neill Healthcare Lakewood, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In O'neill Healthcare Lakewood, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are routinely caused by poor nursing care. However, this metric can also be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In O'neill Healthcare Lakewood, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients which were administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to having more residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In O'neill Healthcare Lakewood, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In O'neill Healthcare Lakewood, 20.26% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. High levels of depression could imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In O'neill Healthcare Lakewood, 90.12% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In O'neill Healthcare Lakewood, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In O'neill Healthcare Lakewood, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who maintained mobility. Many believe that the ability to move around is critical to patients physical and mental well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In O'neill Healthcare Lakewood, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In O'neill Healthcare Lakewood, 12 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In O'neill Healthcare Lakewood, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
- Fairview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.98 miles away18101 Lorain Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44111Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 476-7000
- Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.26 miles away1730 West 25th Street Cleveland Ohio 44113Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 696-4300
- Metrohealth SystemAcute Care Hospitals 4.92 miles away2500 Metrohealth Drive Cleveland Ohio 44109Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 778-7089
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.93 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Southwest General Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.22 miles away18697 Bagley Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 816-6701
- Uh St John Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.59 miles away29000 Center Ridge Road Westlake Ohio 44145Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 835-8000
- Cleveland ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 8.7 miles away9500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44195Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 445-8400
- Rainbow Babies and Childrens HospitalChildrens 9.47 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 844-1000
- Fmc - Lakewood Ohio Dialysis0.03 miles away13900 Detroit Avenue Lakewood Ohio 44107Dialysis Stations: 12 (216) 221-3034
- Davita - Detroit Road Dialysis2.55 miles away7901 Detroit Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44102Dialysis Stations: 23 (216) 961-6498
- Davita - Hilliard Dialysis2.58 miles away19133 Hilliard Blvd Rocky River Ohio 44116CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (216) 712-4700
- Fmc - Farnsworth Dialysis4.73 miles away3280 W 25th St Cleveland Ohio 44109CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (216) 739-0500
- Community Dialysis Center4.74 miles away3330 West 25th Cleveland Ohio 44109CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (216) 741-5776
- Davita - Ridge Park Dialysis5.43 miles away4805 Pearl Road Cleveland Ohio 44109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (216) 398-6029
- Fmc - Cleveland Clinic West5.64 miles away14670 Snow Road Brookpark Ohio 44142CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (216) 267-1451
- Center for Dialysis Care Westside Home Care LLC5.84 miles away24651 Center Ridge Rd Suite 450 Westlake Ohio 44145Dialysis Stations: 10 (440) 899-2808