Ollie Steele Burden Manor is a large non-profit nursing home in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. We gave this nursing home a superb overall score of A-. With a grade in this range, this facility ended up being much better than the vast majority of the nursing homes in Baton Rouge. Even with Baton Rouge featuring 11 other nursing homes available, this nursing home jumped off the page as a fine selection. The best aspect of this nursing home's strong profile is its inspection reports. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph
Ollie Steele Burden Manor
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
4250 Essen Lane,
Baton Rouge LA 70809
14.59% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Best Nursing Home in Louisiana Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Louisiana Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Louisiana Awards 2021
We also wanted to point out the fact that this facility earned near flawless government inspections recently. We gave them an impressive grade of A+ in this area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively insignificant. We were not able to find information about this nursing home's deficiencies. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
On the list of its many impressive grades, this nursing home was awarded first-rate short-term care grade. In fact, it received a score of A- in that area. Our short-term care grades are likely most critical for people in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically utilizes more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not just nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. It does not look like this facility submitted data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.8 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Ollie Steele Burden Manor?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a strong long-term care grade. This actually turned out to be its third most impressive category score. In that category, this facility received a grade of A-. Facilities that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is much higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The last area we rated is nursing, in which this nursing home was awarded a grade of B-. This turned out to be this facility's least impressive category. This is nevertheless a middle of the pack score. We analyzed the qualifications of nurses employed by the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of hours the nurses worked with patients, in determining our score in this category. This facility provides 0 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In fact, it scored well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the number of hours of care offered.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ollie Steele Burden Manor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ollie Steele Burden Manor, 10% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ollie Steele Burden Manor, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are often linked to poor nursing care. Closer supervision can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ollie Steele Burden Manor, 2.69% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of facilities with worst hygiene practices. Closer supervision minimizes the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ollie Steele Burden Manor, 16.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ollie Steele Burden Manor, 22.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ollie Steele Burden Manor, 1.51% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ollie Steele Burden Manor, 85.51% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ollie Steele Burden Manor, 19.03% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ollie Steele Burden Manor, 13.75% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ollie Steele Burden Manor, 13.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ollie Steele Burden Manor, 13.45 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ollie Steele Burden Manor, 67.8% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Baton Rouge, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Baton Rouge, Louisiana has 10 other nursing homes
- Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.89 miles away5000 Hennessy Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Voluntary non-profit - Church(225) 765-6565
- Womans HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.19 miles away100 Woman's Way Baton Rouge Louisiana 70817Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 927-1300
- Baton Rouge General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.21 miles away3600 Florida Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 387-7767
- Ochsner Medical Center - Baton RougeAcute Care Hospitals 6.35 miles away17000 Medical Center Dr Baton Rouge Louisiana 70816Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 752-2470
- Lane Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.56 miles away6300 Main Street Zachary Louisiana 70791Government - Hospital District or Authority(225) 658-4000
- St James Behavioral Health Hospital, IncPsychiatric 16.58 miles away3136 South St Landry Road Gonzales Louisiana 70737Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 647-7524
- Fmcna - Mancuso0.76 miles away4848 Mancuso Ln, Ste A Baton Rouge Louisiana 70809Dialysis Stations: 21 (225) 766-6773
- Fkc - j.h. Lee Kidney Center0.86 miles away5348 Flanders Drive Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Dialysis Stations: 17 (225) 766-3761
- Davita - Essen Lane Dialysis0.91 miles away7703 Picardy Ave Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Dialysis Stations: 21 (225) 769-8669
- Fmcna - Picardy Kidney Ctr0.93 miles away7638 Picardy Ave Ste A Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 766-5600
- Fmcna - Greater Baton Rouge Home Program1.05 miles away5399 Mancuso Lane Baton Rouge Louisiana 70809Dialysis Stations: 15 (225) 819-2036
- Fmcna - Baton Rouge2.48 miles away524 Colonial Dr Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 927-3311
- Fmcna - Dialysis Services of Bon Carre3.19 miles away7656 Realtors Ave Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 216-0388
- Davita - Mid City Dialysis4.4 miles away2902 Florida Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70802Dialysis Stations: 13 (225) 766-0093