Olde Knox Commons at the Villages of Mecklenburg is in Huntersville, North Carolina. We gave this facility an overall grade of B+. A score in this range requires solid scores in most areas. This nursing home definitely has plenty going for it. Fortunately, this nursing home didn't have any bad scores in any of the major categories. More information about these categories is available below.
Olde Knox Commons at the Villages of Mecklenburg
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
On top of being a first rate facility overall, this nursing home also fared well in our long-term care category, where it earned an A+. Few nursing homes fared better in this category. When facilities receive this type of score in long-term care it is usually a good sign for patient care and indicates that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses aids. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 99.64158 percent of its patients, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia can be a life threatening condition for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home does not leave its residents vulnerable. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
This nursing home also performed well in our inspection category, which is based on its inspection reports. We awarded it an A for that area. Our inspection scores are based on many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this category tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This place received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies to create an immediate risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Olde Knox Commons at the Villages of Mecklenburg?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B in this area. Our nursing grade considers many datapoints. The most important factor is the number of hours nurses spent with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at was this facility's worst category. However, even in its weakest link we still gave it a decent grade of C for our short-term care category. With our short-term care rating, we attempt to create a meaningful barometer for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we analyze a facility's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of residents that eventually returned home from this nursing home. We found that 4.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually quite a bit below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Olde Knox Commons at the Villages of Mecklenburg Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Olde Knox Commons at the Villages of Mecklenburg, 10.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients which have pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Olde Knox Commons at the Villages of Mecklenburg, 3.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term residents that suffered falls resulting in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Olde Knox Commons at the Villages of Mecklenburg, 3.21% of Patients had UTIs
This figure indicates the percent of long-term patients that have suffered from urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Olde Knox Commons at the Villages of Mecklenburg, 11.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Olde Knox Commons at the Villages of Mecklenburg, 22.36% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Olde Knox Commons at the Villages of Mecklenburg, 2.92% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many argue this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Olde Knox Commons at the Villages of Mecklenburg, 88.16% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Olde Knox Commons at the Villages of Mecklenburg, 19.43% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Olde Knox Commons at the Villages of Mecklenburg, 26.81% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were able to retain mobility.
In Olde Knox Commons at the Villages of Mecklenburg, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Olde Knox Commons at the Villages of Mecklenburg, 26.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Olde Knox Commons at the Villages of Mecklenburg, 11.94 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Olde Knox Commons at the Villages of Mecklenburg, 72.2% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with better rehabilitation services.
- Novant Health Huntersville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.82 miles away10030 Gilead Road Huntersville North Carolina 28078Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 316-4000
- Lake Norman Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.99 miles away171 Fairview Road Mooresville North Carolina 28117Proprietary(704) 660-4000
- Atrium Health University CityAcute Care Hospitals 10.06 miles away8800 North Tyron Street Charlotte North Carolina 28262Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 548-6000
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.39 miles away200 Hawthorne Lane Box 33549 Charlotte North Carolina 28233Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 384-4000
- Carolinas Medical Center/Behav HealthAcute Care Hospitals 14.85 miles away1000 Blythe Blvd Charlotte North Carolina 28203Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 355-2000
- Carolinas Healthcare System NortheastAcute Care Hospitals 14.88 miles away920 Church St N Concord North Carolina 28025Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 783-3000
- Caromont Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.65 miles away2525 Court Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28052Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 834-4891
- Atrium Health LincolnAcute Care Hospitals 19.29 miles away433 Mcalister Rd Lincolnton North Carolina 28092Government - Hospital District or Authority(980) 212-2000
- Huntersville Dialysis1.05 miles away9622 Kincey Ave Huntersville North Carolina 28078Dialysis Stations: 14 (704) 912-3890
- Independent Nephrology Services Huntersville1.09 miles away9920 Kincey Avenue Ste 140 Huntersville North Carolina 28078Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 947-2341
- North Charlotte7.52 miles away6620 Old Statesville Road Charlotte North Carolina 28269CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (704) 599-1355
- Dsi Glenwater Dialysis9.58 miles away9030 Glenwater Drive Charlotte North Carolina 28262CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (704) 503-6900
- Lake Norman Dialysis Center of Wake Forest University9.68 miles away164 Professional Park Drive Mooresville North Carolina 28117CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (704) 799-1860
- Bma of Beatties Ford Inc9.94 miles away1534 North Hoskins Road Charlotte North Carolina 28216CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (704) 394-7335
- Davita Sugar Creek10.5 miles away5100 Reagan Dr Suite 10 Charlotte North Carolina 28206Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 921-9823
- Harrisburg Dialysis Center11.66 miles away3310 Perry St Concord North Carolina 28027CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (704) 792-1144