Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber is a large non-profit nursing home in Columbus, Ohio. With an overall grade of B+, this nursing home should work for most people. You could definitely do much worse than this nursing home. We were also pleased to find that this place didn't have any bad scores in any of the four major categories. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
717 Neil Avenue,
Columbus OH 43215
87.34% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great facility overall, it also earned A+ inspections in recent years. Its inspections are virtually perfect. Our inspection grades are based on items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this category have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was awarded high marks in the area of short-term care as well. As a result, we awarded it one of our most superb scores in that area with a score of A-. In the category of short-term care, we try to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. When we assessed this facility's nursing hours, we found it offered more care from registered nurses than most nursing homes. The last datapoint we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. It performed as well as just about any facility in Ohio in this area with 66.5 percent of its patients returning home. Unfortunately, at most facilities, fewer than half of their short-stay residents are able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B. Our nursing score weighs several components, however, the most important one is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 3.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we assessed is long-term care. This nursing home was given a strong long-term care rating in our assessment, with a B-. Even though this wasn't quite as elite as several of its other scores, this is nevertheless a decent score for this area. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. We were a bit concerned this facility vaccinated 76.74419 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which happens to be several points less than the national average. Fortunately, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 1.47 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than the average nursing home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 7.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term care residents which developed pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 1.75% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients who suffered from a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic can be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 12.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 22.34% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 19.84% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing symptoms of depression. High levels of depression may reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 90.11% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 15.05% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 18.59% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 1.39 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 18.59 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 11.79 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Columbus, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Columbus, Ohio has 21 other nursing homes
- Mount Carmel WestAcute Care Hospitals 1.28 miles away793 West State Street Columbus Ohio 43222Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 234-5000
- Grant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.4 miles away111 South Grant Avenue Columbus Ohio 43215Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 566-9000
- Ohio State University HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 1.46 miles away410 West 10th Avenue Columbus Ohio 43210Government - State(614) 293-9700
- Nationwide Children's HospitalChildrens 2.24 miles away700 Children's Drive Columbus Ohio 43205Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 722-2000
- Twin Valley Behavioral HealthcarePsychiatric 2.86 miles away2200 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43223Government - Local(614) 752-0333
- Riverside Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.13 miles away3535 Olentangy River Rd Columbus Ohio 43214Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 566-5000
- Doctors HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.85 miles away5100 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43228Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 544-1000
- Mount Carmel St Ann'sAcute Care Hospitals 10.27 miles away500 South Cleveland Avenue Westerville Ohio 43081Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 898-4000
- Fmc - Mt. Carmel West1.33 miles away745 West State St Suite 660 Columbus Ohio 43222Dialysis Stations: 20 (614) 224-2344
- Fmc - Greater Columbus Regional Dialysis, LLC1.34 miles away285 E. State St., Suite 170 Columbus Ohio 43215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (614) 228-9114
- Fmc - Grant Park1.51 miles away393 East Town Street Suite 111 Columbus Ohio 43215Dialysis Stations: 9 (614) 469-0070
- Davita - Columbus Downtown Dialysis1.76 miles away415 East Mound Street Columbus Ohio 43215Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 228-1773
- Fmc-Campus Kidney Dialysis Center1.96 miles away1791 Kenny Rd. Columbus Ohio 43210Dialysis Stations: 17 (614) 487-9750
- Nationwide Childrens Hospital2.23 miles away700 Childrens Dr t6a Columbus Ohio 43205Dialysis Stations: 7 (614) 722-4859
- Fmc - Clayton Taylor2.71 miles away730 Taylor Avenue Columbus Ohio 43219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (614) 258-5898
- Kidney Center of Columbus East3.37 miles away1805 East Main Street Columbus Ohio 43205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (614) 253-3300