Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber is in the densely populated metropolitan area of Columbus, Ohio. This is an A rated facility, which is one of the most impressive grades that we offer. Based on our analysis, you can not go wrong with this facility. Headlining this facility's remarkable report card is its nursing grade, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Columbus senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility excelled in our nursing rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Our nursing grade is based on many factors, but the primary consideration is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This particular nursing home provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
This nursing home has received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this area. Inspection grades account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this category tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a first-rate short-term care grade. In fact, this turned out to be this facility's third most impressive category grade. In that category, we gave this facility a score of A. In forming these short-term care ratings, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to formulate a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we rated was long-term care. We awarded this nursing home a decent score in that area, with a B-. Although this isn't as strong as several of its other scores, it is nevertheless not a bad grade. In the area of long-term care, we look at the amount of services offered by a nursing home, as opposed to more medically-intensive services. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccines. Frankly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to just 75.28517 percent of its patients. Nevertheless, this place was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 4.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 4.18% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of long-term residents who have suffered a fall leading to serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 1.53% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often the result of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint could also be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 9.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 3.95% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 17.46% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 84.7% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 7.04% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 5.5% of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels.
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 5.5% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 8.47% of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber, 40.45% of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Columbus, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Columbus, Ohio has 16 other nursing homes
- Mount Carmel WestAcute Care Hospitals 1.28 miles away793 West State Street Columbus Ohio 43222Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 234-5000
- Grant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.4 miles away111 South Grant Avenue Columbus Ohio 43215Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 566-9000
- Ohio State University HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 1.46 miles away410 West 10th Avenue Columbus Ohio 43210Government - State(614) 293-9700
- Nationwide Children's HospitalChildrens 2.24 miles away700 Children's Drive Columbus Ohio 43205Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 722-2000
- Twin Valley Behavioral HealthcarePsychiatric 2.86 miles away2200 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43223Government - Local(614) 752-0333
- Riverside Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.13 miles away3535 Olentangy River Rd Columbus Ohio 43214Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 566-5000
- Doctors HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.85 miles away5100 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43228Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 544-1000
- Mount Carmel St Ann'sAcute Care Hospitals 10.27 miles away500 South Cleveland Avenue Westerville Ohio 43081Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 898-4000
- Fmc - Mt. Carmel West1.33 miles away745 West State St Suite 660 Columbus Ohio 43222Dialysis Stations: 20 (614) 224-2344
- Fmc - Greater Columbus Regional Dialysis, LLC1.34 miles away285 E. State St., Suite 170 Columbus Ohio 43215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (614) 228-9114
- Fmc - Grant Park1.51 miles away393 East Town Street Suite 111 Columbus Ohio 43215Dialysis Stations: 9 (614) 469-0070
- Davita - Columbus Downtown Dialysis1.76 miles away415 East Mound Street Columbus Ohio 43215Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 228-1773
- Fmc-Campus Kidney Dialysis Center1.96 miles away1791 Kenny Rd. Columbus Ohio 43210Dialysis Stations: 17 (614) 487-9750
- Nationwide Childrens Hospital2.23 miles away700 Childrens Dr t6a Columbus Ohio 43205Dialysis Stations: 7 (614) 722-4859
- Fmc - Clayton Taylor2.71 miles away730 Taylor Avenue Columbus Ohio 43219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (614) 258-5898
- Kidney Center of Columbus East3.37 miles away1805 East Main Street Columbus Ohio 43205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (614) 253-3300