Odd Fellows Home of Massachusetts is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Worcester, Massachusetts. We awarded it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the road grade. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Worcester. One of the better aspects of this facility's report card is its impressive inspection rating, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Odd Fellows Home of Massachusetts
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this ended up being a decent nursing home is that it received an excellent inspection score. Its inspection grade was far better than its overall grade. In our inspections category, we gave this facility an A-. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A couple relatively minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. This turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this nursing home an B-. Our nursing rating consists of many factors, but the paramount one is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility surprisingly excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. It scored well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Does this page answer your questions about Odd Fellows Home of Massachusetts?
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed is long-term care, where this facility was awarded a grade of B- in this category. In the category of long-term care, we assess the quantity of services provided by a facility, rather than more healthcare-oriented services. One of the statistics we considered on top of nurse's aid hours was vaccines. Candidly, we were a bit worried that this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to only 87.24832 percent of its residents. Nevertheless, this facility excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Our next category is short-term care, in which we awarded this facility a grade of B- in that area. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Unfortunately, we weren't able to find information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Odd Fellows Home of Massachusetts Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Odd Fellows Home of Massachusetts, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Odd Fellows Home of Massachusetts, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are routinely caused by poor nursing care. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Odd Fellows Home of Massachusetts, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term care residents that had urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indication of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Odd Fellows Home of Massachusetts, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used to treat a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Odd Fellows Home of Massachusetts, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents which were given antianxiety medication. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Odd Fellows Home of Massachusetts, 1.93% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are showing signs of depression. Some would argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Odd Fellows Home of Massachusetts, 91.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Odd Fellows Home of Massachusetts, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Odd Fellows Home of Massachusetts, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that maintained mobility.
In Odd Fellows Home of Massachusetts, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is key to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Odd Fellows Home of Massachusetts, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Odd Fellows Home of Massachusetts, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Odd Fellows Home of Massachusetts, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Worcester, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Worcester, Massachusetts has 15 other nursing homes
- St Vincent HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.28 miles away123 Summer Street Worcester Massachusetts 01608Proprietary(508) 363-5000
- Umass Memorial Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 2.37 miles away55 Lake Avenue North Worcester Massachusetts 01655Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 334-1000
- Marlborough HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.95 miles away157 Union Street Marlborough Massachusetts 01752Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 481-5000
- Health Alliance - Clinton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.11 miles away60 Hospital Road Leominster Massachusetts 01453Voluntary non-profit - Other(978) 466-2000
- Milford Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.68 miles away14 Prospect Street Milford Massachusetts 01757Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 473-1190
- Metrowest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.05 miles away115 Lincoln Street Framingham Massachusetts 01701Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 383-1000
- Harrington Memorial Hospital-1Acute Care Hospitals 20 miles away100 South Street Southbridge Massachusetts 01550Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 765-9771
- Davita Pdi Worcester1.05 miles away19 Glennie Street Suite A Worcester Massachusetts 01605CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (508) 421-9539
- Freedom Center of Worcester2.15 miles away1 Innovation Drive Suite 110 Worcester Massachusetts 01605Dialysis Stations: 6 (508) 767-3950
- Davita Shrewsbury Street Dialysis2.3 miles away267 Shrewsbury Street Worcester Massachusetts 01604Dialysis Stations: 16 (774) 530-6353
- Saint Vincent's Hospital2.62 miles awayHemodialysis Unit 123 Summer St, Suite 380 Worcester Massachusetts 01608Dialysis Stations: 12 (508) 363-9460
- U-Mass Memorial Health Care Systems2.68 miles awayDialysis Unit 55 Lake Avenue North Rm h7-331 Worcester Massachusetts 01655Dialysis Stations: 13 (774) 442-3814
- University Dialysis Center (Bma of Shrewsbury)3.17 miles away239-243 Boston Turnpike Road Shrewsbury Massachusetts 01545Dialysis Stations: 16 (508) 753-0886
- Bio-Medical Applications of Massachusetts Inc3.94 miles away867 Grafton Street Worcester Massachusetts 01604Dialysis Stations: 16 (203) 387-9332
- Auburn Health LLC7.26 miles away771 South Bridge Street Suite 1 Auburn Massachusetts 01501Dialysis Stations: 16 (508) 832-3604