Oceanview Nursing & Rehabilitation Care Center is located in Far Rockaway, New York, a city with a total of 71,951 people. This facility was given a very respectable overall rating of B, resulting in it being ranked among the three highest graded nursing homes in the city. Even in a city with 11 nursing homes, this nursing home ought to be a perfectly acceptable option. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category was long-term care, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Oceanview Nursing & Rehabilitation Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
315 Beach 9th Street,
Far Rockaway NY 11691
96.07% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our long-term care grade. When nursing homes receive this kind of score in this category it is a good sign for resident care and suggests that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 99.10715 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients healthy. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
In addition, this nursing home also excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A. Few nursing homes performed as well in this area. Inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to be an immediate threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Oceanview Nursing & Rehabilitation Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we analyzed was short-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a D. This is nowhere near as strong as some of its other category scores. In fact, this is not the type of grade we were hoping for. In the category of short-term care, we attempt to evaluate indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. It looks like this nursing home was subpar in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the measures we looked at. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents that returned home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.9 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Switching gears to the next category, we awarded this nursing home a D in the area of nursing. This was the nursing home's weakest category grade. Sadly, this score hurt the nursing home's overall profile to a certain degree. Nursing ratings are based largely on quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home offered just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This nursing home performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these data points to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Oceanview Nursing & Rehabilitation Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Oceanview Nursing & Rehabilitation Care Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term care patients which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Oceanview Nursing & Rehabilitation Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Oceanview Nursing & Rehabilitation Care Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with poor nursing care. However, this metric may be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Oceanview Nursing & Rehabilitation Care Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Oceanview Nursing & Rehabilitation Care Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term residents who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Oceanview Nursing & Rehabilitation Care Center, 13.2% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Many in the industry would argue this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Oceanview Nursing & Rehabilitation Care Center, 91.26% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Oceanview Nursing & Rehabilitation Care Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Oceanview Nursing & Rehabilitation Care Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Oceanview Nursing & Rehabilitation Care Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Oceanview Nursing & Rehabilitation Care Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Oceanview Nursing & Rehabilitation Care Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Oceanview Nursing & Rehabilitation Care Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Far Rockaway, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Far Rockaway, New York has 10 other nursing homes
- St John's Episcopal Hospital at South ShoreAcute Care Hospitals 0.42 miles away327 Beach 19th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Voluntary non-profit - Church(718) 869-7000
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.07 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.64 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.8 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.51 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 9.91 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- New York Community Hospital of Brooklyn, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 10.61 miles away2525 Kings Highway Brooklyn New York 11229Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 692-5302
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.64 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- Peninsula Continuum Services LLC0.14 miles away50-15 Beach Channel Drive Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 734-2190
- Marjorie Basser Dialysis Center0.47 miles awaySt. John's Episcopal Hospital 327 Beach 19th Street, Dialysis Unit Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 869-7637
- Rockaway Hd LLC0.51 miles away529 Beach 20th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 327-4503
- Woodmere Dialysis LLC3.1 miles awayFive Towns Premier Nursing and Rehabilitation 1050 Central Avenue Woodmere New York 11598Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 791-5277
- Springfield Dialysis Center4.27 miles away134-35 Springfield Boulevard Springfield Gardens New York 11413CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 978-1233
- West Nassau Dialysis Ctr, Inc5.1 miles away75 Rockaway Avenue Valley Stream New York 11580CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 823-4444
- Davita Lynbrook Dialysis Center5.15 miles away147 Scranton Avenue Lynbrook New York 11563CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 596-4101
- Fms-St. Alban's Dialysis Center6.04 miles away172-70 Baisley Blvd Jamaica New York 11434CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 949-1600