Oaks on Parkwood is a large non-profit facility located in Bessemer, Alabama. We gave it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack rating. This grade isn't too far off the city grade for Bessemer, which is a B-. We were also pleased to discover that this place received consistently decent grades in all of the major categories we assessed. More information about its category grades is available below.
Oaks on Parkwood
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Best Nursing Home in Bessemer, Alabama Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Bessemer, Alabama Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable nursing home overall, this facility really excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places with better grades in this area typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility received its next most favorable category score in the area of short-term care. We awarded this nursing home a B- in this category, which is a respectable grade. In our short-term care score, we strive to craft a fair barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we assess the nursing home's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The key is determining what bearing this had on quality of care. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 5.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Oaks on Parkwood?
Next, we looked at the nursing category where we awarded this nursing home a grade of C, which is a decent grade. Nursing grades are tied to quality and quantity of nursing care. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a lower figure than we were hoping for. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly fared better in some of the quality measures we assessed. It performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the number of hours of care offered.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed was long-term care. This nursing home received a C in this category. For prospective patients seeking a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 97.192986 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is more than the average nursing home. This nursing home also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Oaks on Parkwood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Oaks on Parkwood, 9.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Oaks on Parkwood, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who sustained a fall resulting in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Oaks on Parkwood, 3.13% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Oaks on Parkwood, 19.45% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Oaks on Parkwood, 23.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. These drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Oaks on Parkwood, 1.27% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients exhibiting signs of depression. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Oaks on Parkwood, 92.58% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Oaks on Parkwood, 12.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Oaks on Parkwood, 15.91% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Oaks on Parkwood, 1.62 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Oaks on Parkwood, 15.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Oaks on Parkwood, 11.46 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Oaks on Parkwood, 73.73% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Bessemer, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bessemer, Alabama has 4 other nursing homes
- Medical West, an Affiliate of Uab Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 6.02 miles away995 9th Avenue Southwest Bessemer Alabama 35021Government - Hospital District or Authority(205) 481-7000
- Shelby Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.53 miles away1000 First Street North Alabaster Alabama 35007Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 620-8100
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.58 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.82 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 10.94 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.99 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 11.01 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.21 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- Bessemer Dialysis5.31 miles away901 Westlake Mall Ste 101 Bessemer Alabama 35020Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 424-1848
- Jewel Dialysis5.45 miles away514 W. Town Plaza Bessemer Alabama 35020CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 481-4386
- Fmc Midfield Dialysis5.88 miles away613 Bessemer Super Highway Birmingham Alabama 35228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 481-0019
- Fmc Hoover5.97 miles away2104 Lorna Ridge Lane Birmingham Alabama 35216Dialysis Stations: 12 (205) 979-3708
- Bessemer Kidney Center6 miles away975 9th Ave Sw Suite 500 Bessemer Alabama 35022Dialysis Stations: 36 (205) 424-3757
- Fmc Cahaba Valley6.11 miles away120 Cahaba Valley Parkway Suite 150 Pelham Alabama 35124Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 988-0469
- Fresenius Medical Care Birmingham Home, LLC6.21 miles away35 West Lakeshore Drive Suite 105 Birmingham Alabama 35209Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 290-1197
- Fresenius Medical Care Mccalla, LLC6.52 miles away4748 Bell Hill Road Bessemer Alabama 35022Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 424-8528