Located in Bessemer, Alabama, Oak Trace Care & Rehabilitation Center is one of five nursing homes in this area. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack grade. This grade is not too far off the city grade for Bessemer, which is a B-. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's profile is its stellar inspection reports, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Oak Trace Care & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this facility received a decent overall grade is its impeccable health inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better grades in that area, with an A+. This is a notably better score than the place's overall grade, which was decent but not in the elite range. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
This nursing home's nursing grade appears to be one of its better features. The facility received a grade of C in this category. Nursing scores are mostly tied to the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a low total compared to most facilities. Lastly, despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is usually an indicator that a facility has quality controls in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Oak Trace Care & Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the category of long-term care, this facility received a grade of just D in this category. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 98.666664 percent of its patients, which is higher than most nursing homes. To our surprise, this place also keeps its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the final area, we gave this facility a D in our short-term care category. This is the nursing home's weakest category rating. Our short-term care scores are vital for individuals needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a broad scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Not surprisingly, we learned that this place offers substantially less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the typical nursing home. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. This was not a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, about half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Oak Trace Care & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Oak Trace Care & Rehabilitation Center, 9.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Oak Trace Care & Rehabilitation Center, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percent of long-term residents who experienced falls leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Oak Trace Care & Rehabilitation Center, 3.13% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this statistic can be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Oak Trace Care & Rehabilitation Center, 19.45% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Oak Trace Care & Rehabilitation Center, 23.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Oak Trace Care & Rehabilitation Center, 1.27% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are showing symptoms of depression. High rates of depression could indicate lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Oak Trace Care & Rehabilitation Center, 92.58% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Oak Trace Care & Rehabilitation Center, 12.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Oak Trace Care & Rehabilitation Center, 15.91% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Oak Trace Care & Rehabilitation Center, 1.62 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Oak Trace Care & Rehabilitation Center, 15.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Oak Trace Care & Rehabilitation Center, 73.73% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Bessemer, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bessemer, Alabama has 4 other nursing homes
- Medical West, an Affiliate of Uab Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 4.89 miles away995 9th Avenue Southwest Bessemer Alabama 35021Government - Hospital District or Authority(205) 481-7000
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.38 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 9.43 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 9.58 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.71 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.82 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- St Vincent's BirminghamAcute Care Hospitals 10.43 miles away810 St Vincent's Drive Birmingham Alabama 35205Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-7000
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.77 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- Fmc Midfield Dialysis0.74 miles away613 Bessemer Super Highway Birmingham Alabama 35228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 481-0019
- Bessemer Dialysis2.98 miles away901 Westlake Mall Ste 101 Bessemer Alabama 35020Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 424-1848
- Fmc Fairfield (Steel City)3.4 miles away6508 E. J. Oliver Blvd Fairfield Alabama 35064Dialysis Stations: 12 (205) 780-5122
- Jewel Dialysis3.41 miles away514 W. Town Plaza Bessemer Alabama 35020CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 481-4386
- Bessemer Kidney Center4.84 miles away975 9th Ave Sw Suite 500 Bessemer Alabama 35022Dialysis Stations: 36 (205) 424-3757
- Ensley Dialysis5.85 miles away2630 Avenue E Birmingham Alabama 35218CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 786-1371
- Fresenius Medical Care Birmingham Home, LLC6.07 miles away35 West Lakeshore Drive Suite 105 Birmingham Alabama 35209Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 290-1197
- Steel City Dialysis6.36 miles away1809 Avenue H Birmingham Alabama 35218Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 785-2972