Oak Park Care Center is located in Saint Louis, Missouri, which has more than 20 nursing homes. This facility was given an uninspiring overall grade of D, which is a well below average score. This nursing home has very little working in its favor. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's profile is its strong inspection rating. You can scroll down to find out about inspections and other category scores
Oak Park Care Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
6637 Berthold Avenue,
Saint Louis MO 63139
69.16% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
While we were fairly low on this facility overall, we awarded it an A- for our inspections rating. This score is significantly more impressive than the nursing home's overall grade. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had some deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
One of this facility's more respectable category scores came in the area of long-term care. This wound up being its second best category. In that area, we gave this nursing home a C. In a long-term care setting, the primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Candidly, we were a bit concerned this nursing home gave the vaccine to only 71.38047 percent of its residents. Nevertheless, this place also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 1.53 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days.
Does this page answer your questions about Oak Park Care Center?
We also wanted to point out that this nursing home received an F for its nursing grade. Our nursing score looks at the facility's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of licensure of those nurses as well as the number of hours spent with residents. This nursing home offered just 2.6 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This figure is far below average. In addition to receiving below average marks for total nursing hours, this facility was a bit less impressive in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at in computing our nursing grades. We looked at the percent of residents experiencing pressure ulcers and found that this nursing home was at roughly 150 percent of the national average in this statistic.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed was short-term care. We gave it an abysmal F for this area, which is a rock bottom grade. Short-term care grades are based on a facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a broad spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. In this nursing home's case, we found that it provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we considered the number of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 37.4 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Oak Park Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Oak Park Care Center, 9.56% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percent of long-term care residents who are suffering from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Oak Park Care Center, 4.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Oak Park Care Center, 3.44% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often linked to poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Oak Park Care Center, 20.38% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Oak Park Care Center, 24.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Oak Park Care Center, 4.04% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Oak Park Care Center, 89.97% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Oak Park Care Center, 14.55% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath. Many argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Oak Park Care Center, 15.54% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Oak Park Care Center, 1.62 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Oak Park Care Center, 15.54 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Oak Park Care Center, 11.99 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Oak Park Care Center, 72.55% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 34 other nursing homes
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 0.61 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.31 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.06 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.78 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.86 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 9.39 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.52 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.68 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Rtc - Hampton Avenue Dialysis0.73 miles away1425 Hampton Avenue Saint Louis Missouri 63139Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 781-4022
- Rai Care Center -Hampton1.48 miles away2635 Hampton Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63139Dialysis Stations: 24 (314) 646-1717
- St Louis Dialysis1.49 miles away324 Debaliviere Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63112CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (314) 367-9111
- St Louis Renal Care - Midtown1.74 miles away5901 Delmar Blvd Saint Louis Missouri 63112Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 862-2138
- Saint Louis Childrens Hospital Dialysis1.93 miles awayOne Childrens Place 2n90 Saint Louis Missouri 63110Dialysis Stations: 5 (314) 454-6065
- Chromalloy American Kidney Center1.95 miles away4950 Childrens Place Wohl Clinic Bldg Saint Louis Missouri 63110CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (314) 362-7209
- Fmc - University City2.51 miles away6850 Olive Blvd Saint Louis Missouri 63130CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (314) 726-0378
- Forest Park Kidney Center2.72 miles away4205 Forest Park Ave. Saint Louis Missouri 63108CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (314) 286-0800