Oak Crest Village is in Parkville, Maryland, a city with a total of 69,752 people. With an overall score of A-, this is without a doubt a very impressive facility. Based on our analysis, you can't go wrong with this facility. Keep reading to find this facility's category scores, which are also quite good. It would be hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
Oak Crest Village
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a first rate nursing home overall, this facility also excelled in our short-term care category, where it received an A. In the category of short-term care, we seek to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients that were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Adding to its impressive category scores, this facility also excelled in the category of inspections, where it received an A-. Our inspection ratings weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this area generally have very few of these severe deficiencies. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. A couple relatively minor dings are not necessarily the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about Oak Crest Village?
In addition, this facility also received favorable nursing grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. The nursing rating considers a number of subcategories. The most important one is the quantity of hours nurses spend with residents. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a policy of moving a patient at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we scored was long-term care, in which this facility received a B. This actually proved to be this facility's worst area. A nursing home is doing something right when their poorest grade still outperforms most other nursing homes. For prospective residents in need of a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 75.97402 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is slightly below what we were hoping for but still a respectable percentage. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, at least this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Oak Crest Village Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Oak Crest Village, 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Oak Crest Village, 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are routinely linked to poor nursing care. Closer supervision limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Oak Crest Village, 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percent of long-term patients which sustained urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Oak Crest Village, 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Oak Crest Village, 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Oak Crest Village, 10.18% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some would argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Oak Crest Village, 92.14% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Oak Crest Village, 19.83% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Oak Crest Village, 28.37% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that remained mobile levels. Some argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients health.
In Oak Crest Village, 1.1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Oak Crest Village, 28.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Oak Crest Village, 8.93 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Oak Crest Village, 74.3% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Parkville, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Parkville, Maryland has 3 other nursing homes
- Medstar Franklin Square Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.14 miles away9000 Franklin Square Drive Rosedale Maryland 21237Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 777-7850
- Medstar Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.98 miles away5601 Loch Raven Boulevard Baltimore Maryland 21239Voluntary non-profit - Other(443) 444-3902
- University of Md St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.71 miles away7601 Osler Drive Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 337-1000
- Greater Baltimore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.48 miles away6701 North Charles Street Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 849-2000
- Medstar Union Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.24 miles away201 East University Parkway Baltimore Maryland 21218Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 554-2227
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.72 miles away4940 Eastern Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21224Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 550-0123
- Johns Hopkins Hospital, TheAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away600 North Wolfe Street Baltimore Maryland 21287Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 955-9540
- Kennedy Krieger InstituteChildrens 8.07 miles away707 North Broadway Baltimore Maryland 21205Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 923-9301
- Fmc of Porter Dialysis - White Marsh1.92 miles away8013 Corporate Dr Ste K Nottingham Maryland 21236Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 931-2478
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Cromwell2.89 miles away8710 Emge Rd Parkville Maryland 21234Dialysis Stations: 6 (410) 661-0801
- Fmc of Porter Dialysis - Rosedale3.02 miles away5235 King Ave Suite 110 & 112 Rosedale Maryland 21237Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 918-0991
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Manor Care3.5 miles away6600 Ridge Rd Rosedale Maryland 21237Dialysis Stations: 6 (410) 780-7355
- Coldsprings Dialysis, LLC3.73 miles away4700 Hartford Road Baltimore Maryland 21214Dialysis Stations: 6 (443) 444-4907
- Davita Harford Road Dialysis Center3.83 miles away5800 Harford Road Baltimore Maryland 21214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 444-1544
- Davita Good Samaritan Dialysis4.96 miles away5601 Loch Raven Boulevard Baltimore Maryland 21239Dialysis Stations: 53 (443) 444-4099
- Fresenius Medical Care Towson5.22 miles away7801 York Road, Ste. 150 Towson Maryland 21204Dialysis Stations: 16 (410) 321-0853