Nyack Ridge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center is a senior living facility located in Valley Cottage, New York, a city with 9,293 people. Featuring an overall rating of C, this is a decent nursing home. Based on our ratings, this facility ought to meet the needs of many people. The best part of this nursing home's profile is its stellar inspection rating. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Nyack Ridge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
476 Christian Herald Road,
Valley Cottage NY 10989
87.37% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable nursing home overall, this facility really excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned a grade of A+. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we gave this nursing home a grade of B in our long-term care category. This happens to be one of our more impressive grades. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care typically provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 94.32314 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Lastly, we looked at the nursing home's number of hospitalizations. With 1.78 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home is close to average in this area.
Does this page answer your questions about Nyack Ridge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of short-term care, this nursing home was given just a D in that category. In determining these short-term care ratings, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to devise a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Given its grade in this category, we were not surprised to find that this facility was subpar in terms of its quantity of registered nurse hours provided to its patients. Frankly, this was about what we expected here. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here. In fact, we found that just 47.5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was below the national average.
The final category we looked at is nursing. It received a lowly F in this area, which is an abysmal grade. This is clearly a major disappointment. Nursing grades are heavily correlated with quality and quantity of nursing care. This facility offered just 3.1 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This facility also had terrible scores in some of the quality-based metrics to go along with its low nursing hour totals. We looked at the percent of patients sustaining pressure ulcers and we were very disappointed. This facility was at approximately 1.5 times the national average in this measure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Nyack Ridge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Nyack Ridge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 9.64% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Nyack Ridge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are often linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Nyack Ridge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 2.09% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Nyack Ridge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 11.62% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to having more patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Nyack Ridge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Nyack Ridge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 13.02% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing symptoms of depression. High rates of depression may be a sign a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Nyack Ridge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 92.45% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Nyack Ridge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 14.69% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Some believe that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Nyack Ridge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 18.9% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who retained mobility levels.
In Nyack Ridge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Nyack Ridge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 18.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Nyack Ridge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 8.78 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Nyack Ridge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
- Nyack HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.72 miles away160 North Midland Avenue Nyack New York 10960Voluntary non-profit - Other(845) 348-2000
- Phelps Memorial Hospital AssnAcute Care Hospitals 4.19 miles away701 North Broadway Tarrytown New York 10591Voluntary non-profit - Other(914) 366-3000
- Westchester Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.28 miles away100 Woods Rd Valhalla New York 10595Government - Hospital District or Authority(914) 493-7000
- Good Samaritan Hospital of SuffernAcute Care Hospitals 10.12 miles away255 Lafayette Avenue Suffern New York 10901Voluntary non-profit - Church(845) 368-5000
- Hackensack Meridian Health Pascack Valley MedicalAcute Care Hospitals 10.17 miles away250 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Proprietary(201) 383-1035
- St John's Riverside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.79 miles away976 North Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 964-4444
- New York-Presbyterian/Hudson Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.42 miles away1980 Crompond Road Cortlandt Manor New York 10567Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 734-3611
- Northern Westchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.49 miles away400 East Main Street Mount Kisco New York 10549Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 666-1200
- Freedom Center of Rockland County, LLC0.15 miles away131 Route 303 Valley Cottage New York 10989CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (845) 268-2777
- Rockland County Dialysis4.38 miles away203 West Route 59 Nanuet New York 10954Dialysis Stations: 20 (845) 501-7590
- Friedwald Center for Dialysis5.1 miles away475 New Hempstead Road New City New York 10956Dialysis Stations: 9 (845) 678-2000
- Davita Hudson Valley Dialysis Center5.58 miles away155 White Plains Road Suite 107 Tarrytown New York 10591CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (914) 332-7599
- Dialysis Clinic Inc, Bradhurst7.75 miles away19 Bradhurst Avenue Hawthorne New York 10532CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (914) 592-4366
- Westchester Artificial Kidney Center7.95 miles away234 Tarrytown Road Dialysis Unit Elmsford New York 10523CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (914) 592-5858
- Davita Renal Center of Westwood10.17 miles away363 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Dialysis Stations: 18 (201) 664-6649
- Davita White Plains Dialysis Center10.45 miles away200 Hamilton Avenue Suite 13b White Plains New York 10601CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (914) 328-4900