Norwood Healthcare is a facility in Norwood, Massachusetts, a city with a population of 28,602 people. This nursing home is a middle of the pack facility, with an overall grade of B-. This facility has some things going for it. One of the highlights of this nursing home's profile is its strong nursing score, which we will address in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Norwood senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a solid overall grade as described above, but it really excelled in the area of nursing care, with an impressive grade of A- in this category. In determining our nursing scores, we analyze both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place Massachusetts in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of turning patients more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded a positive long-term care grade. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B+ in that area, which happens to be one of our better. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in this category typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are well cared for. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 78.63436 percent of its patients, which is a bit lower than we expected. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Norwood Healthcare?
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, we gave this nursing home a B in our short-term care category. This is one of our higher scores. Our short-term care ratings are arguably most critical for patients needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation usually mandates more skilled nursing services. This includes not just nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents that were able to return home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
In the final category of inspections, this ended up being this facility's weakest link. Inspection scores are based on a facility's recent government inspection reports. We gave this nursing home a D in this category, which is not a very good grade. Since this data is collected by government inspectors, we typically take it pretty seriously. Inspection scores weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. You should be most cautious when considering a nursing home with severe deficiencies on a recent inspection report. This facility was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they posed a threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this place also received large government fines in the past few years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Norwood Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Norwood Healthcare, 6.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Norwood Healthcare, 3.77% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who experienced a fall leading to serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Norwood Healthcare, 2.05% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care patients which sustained urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Norwood Healthcare, 19.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for treating several medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Norwood Healthcare, 18.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Norwood Healthcare, 2.48% of Patients
This is the percent of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Norwood Healthcare, 91.39% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Norwood Healthcare, 16.21% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Norwood Healthcare, 15.75% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who maintained mobility.
In Norwood Healthcare, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Norwood Healthcare, 15.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Norwood Healthcare, 11.2 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Norwood Healthcare, 71.52% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living typically correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
- Norwood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.65 miles away800 Washington Street Norwood Massachusetts 02062Proprietary(781) 769-4000
- Westwood Pembroke Health SystemsPsychiatric 1.49 miles away45 Clapboardtree Street Westwood Massachusetts 02090Proprietary(617) 762-7764
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - NeedhamAcute Care Hospitals 5.86 miles away148 Chestnut Street Needham Heights Massachusetts 02494Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 453-3002
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 7.35 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.1 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.78 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.66 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.66 miles away235 North Pearl Street Brockton Massachusetts 02301Proprietary(508) 427-3000
- Westwood Dialysis Center (Bma Westwood)1.34 miles away90 Glacier Drive Westwood Massachusetts 02090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 326-9985
- Pure Life Renal of Stoughton, LLC6.98 miles awayMed. Office Bldg Suite m107 907 Sumner Street Stoughton Massachusetts 02072CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 341-8550
- Wellesley Dialysis8.56 miles away195 Worcester Street Lower Level Wellesley Hills Massachusetts 02481Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 431-1414
- Boston Dialysis Center (Bma Boston)8.82 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue 1 South Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 298-2475
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner8.94 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Us Renal Care Foxborough Dialysis9.09 miles away10 Lincoln Rd Suite 101 Foxboro Massachusetts 02035Dialysis Stations: 9 (774) 215-5696
- Brockton Regional Kidney Center9.98 miles away76 Campanelli Industrial Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (508) 427-5329
- Brockton Dialysis Center, LLC10.08 miles away375 Westgate Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 586-2791