Norwood Crossing is located in the large metropolitan area of Chicago, Illinois with a population of 2,680,484 people. We gave this facility an overall grade of A-, resulting in it being ranked among the fifteen highest rated facilities in Chicago. Chicago has a variety of nursing homes, however, we question whether you will need to visit too many others. This one is a first class option. As you can see below, this nursing home also performed just fine in our category grades. It would be hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Chicago senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A in our short-term care category. With our short-term care category, we try to create a meaningful measure for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we assess a facility's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last statistic we assessed in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 5.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category. Our nursing rating is largely based on the nursing home's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Norwood Crossing?
In addition, this facility also performed well in our inspection category, which is based on the nursing home's recent inspection reports. In fact, we gave it an impressive grade of B+ for that category, which is one of our highest scores. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we graded turned out to be this facility's worst area. However, even its lowest point would likely be a strength for many nursing homes. We awarded it a strong grade of B for our long-term care category. When nursing homes receive this kind of score in long-term care it is usually a good sign for resident care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours is vaccines. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 98.5 percent of its residents. This is a proven method to minimize unnecessary deaths for the aged 65 and up population. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Norwood Crossing Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Norwood Crossing, 6.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents which have pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Norwood Crossing, 5.75% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care. Better nursing care can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Norwood Crossing, 1.88% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this metric could be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Norwood Crossing, 22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Norwood Crossing, 15.53% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Norwood Crossing, 4.85% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents showing signs of depression. Some experts argue this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Norwood Crossing, 97% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Norwood Crossing, 6.88% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Norwood Crossing, 6.99% of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Norwood Crossing, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Norwood Crossing, 6.99% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Norwood Crossing, 12.05% of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Norwood Crossing, 76.14% of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 38 other nursing homes
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.67 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Community First Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.51 miles away5645 W Addison Street Chicago Illinois 60634Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 282-7000
- Advocate Lutheran General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.18 miles away1775 Dempster St Park Ridge Illinois 60068Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 723-2210
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.28 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Loyola Gottlieb Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.1 miles away701 West North Ave Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 681-3200
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.32 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 6.71 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- West Suburban Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.95 miles away3 Erie Court Oak Park Illinois 60302Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 383-6200
- Davita - Norwood Park Dialysis0.57 miles away7435 W Talcott Ave - Outpatient Dialysis Chicago Illinois 60631Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 990-7620
- Davita - Big Oaks Dialysis2.19 miles away5623 W. Touhy Avenue Niles Illinois 60714Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 647-3140
- Fmc - Norridge2.58 miles away4701 North Cumberland Avenue, Ste 15/18a Harwood Heights Illinois 60706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 456-0152
- Center for Renal Replacement, LLC3.41 miles away7301 North Lincoln Ave., Ste 205 Lincolnwood Illinois 60712Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 675-5555
- Davita - Montclare Dialysis3.95 miles away7009 W Belmont Avenue Chicago Illinois 60634CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 889-6051
- Davita Irving Park Dialysis4.27 miles away4323 N Pulaski Road Chicago Illinois 60641Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 279-8714
- Davita Brickyard Dialysis4.36 miles away2640 N. Narragansett Ave. Suite d8 Chicago Illinois 60639Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 622-6345
- Fmc - West Belmont4.4 miles away4943 W Belmont Ave. Chicago Illinois 60641CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (773) 685-7500