Northwest Manor Health Care Center is located in the large metropolitan area of Indianapolis, Indiana with a population of 910,148 people. We gave this nursing home an overall rating of A-, which is a superb rating. In fact, it is one of the five best nursing homes in Indianapolis. This is just about as good of a nursing home as you're going to find. As you will see below, this place also performed well in our category grades. It would be hard to find any major flaws in this place's profile.
Northwest Manor Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - County
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this ended up being a quality nursing home is that it earned a very impressive grade in inspections. Inspections ended up being its best category. In this area, we gave this nursing home an A. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with higher grades in this area most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a fine short-term care grade. Indeed, this is this nursing home's second strongest category grade. In that category, we gave this facility a score of A-. Our short-term care ratings are crucial for prospective residents requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires additional skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a wide spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Northwest Manor Health Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, this nursing home also was awarded favorable long-term care scores in our assessment. In fact, we awarded them one of our more favorable grades in that area, with a grade of B+. When facilities receive this type of grade in long-term care it is a good sign for resident care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. One of the datapoints we considered after nursing hours is vaccines. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a great way to avoid unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the senior population. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
In the last category, this facility also was awarded a very strong nursing grade, with a grade of B+. This wrapped up a very impressive profile. We assessed the skill-level of nurses employed by the nursing home, as well as the number of hours the nurses worked with patients, in computing our score in this category. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Northwest Manor Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percent of long-term residents which had falls which resulted in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term residents who had urinary tract infections. UTI's may be a sign of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 12.89% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 91.48% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Indianapolis, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Indianapolis, Indiana has 45 other nursing homes
- Iu Health West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.41 miles away1111 N Ronald Reagan Pkwy Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 217-3000
- St Vincent Neighborhood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.63 miles away9613 East Us Highway 36 Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 703-1999
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 5.82 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 5.98 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 7.83 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- St Vincent Heart Center of Indiana LLCAcute Care Hospitals 10.45 miles away10580 N Meridian St Indianapolis Indiana 46290Proprietary(317) 583-5000
- Neurodiagnostic InstitutePsychiatric 10.59 miles away5435 E 16th St Indianapolis Indiana 46218Government - State(317) 941-4000
- Community Hospital EastAcute Care Hospitals 10.74 miles away1500 N Ritter Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46219Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 355-5411
- Davita - Eagle Highlands1.04 miles away6925 Shore Terrace Indianapolis Indiana 46254Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 295-0423
- Davita - Westview Dialysis2.45 miles away3749 Commercial Dr. Indianapolis Indiana 46222CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (317) 299-4693
- Fmc - Indianapolis-West2.72 miles away805 Beachway Drive Suite 100 Indianapolis Indiana 46224Dialysis Stations: 18 (317) 484-3550
- Us Renal Care- Nw Indianapolis Renal Center3.96 miles away6488 Corporate Drive Indianapolis Indiana 46268CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 328-9667
- Davita Speedway Dialysis4.58 miles away2636 W. Michigan St. Indianapolis Indiana 46222Dialysis Stations: 13 (317) 423-0956
- Davita - Avon Dialysis4.74 miles away9210 Rockville Road, Ste D Indianapolis Indiana 46234Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 209-2544
- Dci - Indianapolis4.93 miles away1719 West 10th Street Indianapolis Indiana 46222CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (317) 631-2005
- Riley Hospital - Peds Dialysis5.59 miles away705 Riley Hospital Drive Roc Dialysis Rm 1240 Indianapolis Indiana 46202Dialysis Stations: 8 (317) 944-4303