Northwest Manor Health Care Center is located in the large metropolitan area of Indianapolis, Indiana with a population of 910,148 people. We gave this nursing home an overall rating of A-, which is a superb rating. In fact, it is one of the ten best nursing homes in Indianapolis. This is just about as good of a nursing home as you're going to find. As you will see below, this place also performed well in our category grades. It would be hard to find any major flaws in this place's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Northwest Manor Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Indianapolis senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - County
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this ended up being a quality nursing home is that it earned a very impressive grade in inspections. Inspections ended up being its best category. In this area, we gave this nursing home an A. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with higher grades in this area most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a fine long-term care grade. Indeed, this is this nursing home's second strongest category grade. In that category, we gave this facility a score of A-. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 99.67427 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Northwest Manor Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, this nursing home also was given favorable short-term care grades in our assessment. In fact, we gave it one of our higher scores in that category, with a score of B+. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Turning to our last area, this nursing home received an excellent nursing rating. In fact, we gave it a B+ in this area, topping off one of our more favorable profiles. We weighed the levels of nurses working for the facility, as well as the quantity of hours those nurses worked with residents, in determining our grade in this category. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Northwest Manor Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 7.36% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 4.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing limits the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for many conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. These medications are typically prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 14.48% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients exhibiting signs of depression. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 91.03% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 15.46% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 12.91% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who retained mobility levels. Some would argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' well-being.
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 1.53 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 12.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 12.43 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Northwest Manor Health Care Center, 73.74% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Indianapolis, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Indianapolis, Indiana has 23 other nursing homes
- Iu Health West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.41 miles away1111 N Ronald Reagan Pkwy Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 217-3000
- St Vincent Neighborhood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.63 miles away9613 East Us Highway 36 Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 703-1999
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 5.82 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 5.98 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 7.83 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- St Vincent Heart Center of Indiana LLCAcute Care Hospitals 10.45 miles away10580 N Meridian St Indianapolis Indiana 46290Proprietary(317) 583-5000
- Neurodiagnostic InstitutePsychiatric 10.59 miles away5435 E 16th St Indianapolis Indiana 46218Government - State(317) 941-4000
- Community Hospital EastAcute Care Hospitals 10.74 miles away1500 N Ritter Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46219Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 355-5411
- Davita - Eagle Highlands1.04 miles away6925 Shore Terrace Indianapolis Indiana 46254Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 295-0423
- Davita - Westview Dialysis2.45 miles away3749 Commercial Dr. Indianapolis Indiana 46222CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (317) 299-4693
- Fmc - Indianapolis-West2.72 miles away805 Beachway Drive Suite 100 Indianapolis Indiana 46224Dialysis Stations: 18 (317) 484-3550
- Us Renal Care- Nw Indianapolis Renal Center3.96 miles away6488 Corporate Drive Indianapolis Indiana 46268CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 328-9667
- Davita Speedway Dialysis4.58 miles away2636 W. Michigan St. Indianapolis Indiana 46222Dialysis Stations: 13 (317) 423-0956
- Davita - Avon Dialysis4.74 miles away9210 Rockville Road, Ste D Indianapolis Indiana 46234Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 209-2544
- Dci - Indianapolis4.93 miles away1719 West 10th Street Indianapolis Indiana 46222CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (317) 631-2005
- Riley Hospital - Peds Dialysis5.59 miles away705 Riley Hospital Drive Roc Dialysis Rm 1240 Indianapolis Indiana 46202Dialysis Stations: 8 (317) 944-4303