Northwell Health Stern Family Center for Rehab is a very-large non-profit facility located in Manhasset, New York. With an overall score of A, this is without a doubt a world class nursing home. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top ten percentile of all facilities in the nation. If you look further down this page, you can see this place's category ratings, which are just as strong as its overall score.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Northwell Health Stern Family Center for Rehab
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Manhasset senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are relatively minor. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This means CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This top-shelf nursing home also performed well in the category of short-term care, where it received a score of A+. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our short-term care grade is often used to assess a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally must have better levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final measure we considered in this category is the number of patients who returned home from the nursing home. We found that 7.2 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Northwell Health Stern Family Center for Rehab?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also received a very strong long-term care grade. This actually turned out to be its third most impressive category grade. In that category, we gave this facility a score of A-. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in this category tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are kept in good health. One of the criteria we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccines. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 96.995705 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a great way to minimize unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the aged 65 and up population. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
In the last category, we gave this nursing home an A+ for our nursing rating. This wrapped up an elite profile. Nursing grades are largely tied to the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed certain nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these statistics as reliable indicators of the caliber of nursing care being provided, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Northwell Health Stern Family Center for Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Northwell Health Stern Family Center for Rehab, 23.67% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Northwell Health Stern Family Center for Rehab, 1.29% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Northwell Health Stern Family Center for Rehab, 3.04% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely the result of nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Northwell Health Stern Family Center for Rehab, 6.19% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term care residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Northwell Health Stern Family Center for Rehab, 13.66% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term patients which are prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are typically used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Northwell Health Stern Family Center for Rehab, 15.07% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Northwell Health Stern Family Center for Rehab, 95.78% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Northwell Health Stern Family Center for Rehab, 6.12% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Northwell Health Stern Family Center for Rehab, 9.41% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Northwell Health Stern Family Center for Rehab, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Northwell Health Stern Family Center for Rehab, 9.41% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Northwell Health Stern Family Center for Rehab, 4.03% of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Northwell Health Stern Family Center for Rehab, 87.86% of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- St Francis Hospital, RoslynAcute Care Hospitals 2.39 miles away100 Port Washington Boulevard Roslyn New York 11576Voluntary non-profit - Church(516) 562-6000
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 3.23 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.01 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.09 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.85 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.25 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.08 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Davita Julia and Israel Waldbaum Dialysis0.13 miles away100 Community Drive Waldbaum Dialysis Center Great Neck New York 11021CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (516) 465-8250
- Nyu Langone Hospitals3.09 miles away255 Warner Avenue Roslyn Heights New York 11577Dialysis Stations: 3 (516) 626-8355
- Lij Medical Center3.17 miles away270-05 76th Avenue Dialysis Unit 7th Floor New Hyde Park New York 11040Dialysis Stations: 6 (718) 470-7820
- Queens-Long Island Renal Institute3.17 miles away271-11 76th Avenue New Hyde Park New York 11040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 289-2600
- New Hyde Park Dialysis Center3.17 miles awayNew Hyde Park Dialysis Center 1574 Hillside Avenue New Hyde Park New York 11040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 327-5555
- Lij Satellite Dialysis Facility3.17 miles away220-22 Hillside Avenue Queens Village New York 11427CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 975-1300
- Davita Port Washington Dialysis Center3.26 miles away50 Seaview Blvd Port Washington New York 11050CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 484-3460
- True North Dialysis Center, LLC4.01 miles away1 Cisney Ave Floral Park New York 11001Dialysis Stations: 1 (516) 327-9502