Northridge Care Center is located in Reseda, California. We awarded this facility an overall grade of D. A grade in this range typically suggests some red flags. Based on our assessment, this place may not be the best fit for most prospective residents. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's report card is its impressive nursing rating. You can scroll down to find out about nursing and other category grades
Northridge Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Although we were down on this facility overall, we gave it a B for our nursing rating. This score is far more impressive than the nursing home's overall score. Our nursing grade considers many datapoints. The most heavily weighted one is the amount of time nurses spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
We actually gave this facility a very solid grade in the area of inspections as well. We gave it a grade of B- in this category. This is better than many facilities in this category. We believe that one of the most critical factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially look at the severity of the deficiencies. This facility was hit with 10 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to create an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about Northridge Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our short-term care rating. This is well below average in this category. Our short-term care grades are crucial for people needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a broad spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The last measure we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 3.9 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor statistics sunk this nursing home's short-term care grade.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our fourth area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of D in long-term care. This is the facility's worst category score. In a long-term care setting, the primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. After considering the amount of nursing care, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. We were optimistic to learn that this facility vaccinates 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Northridge Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Northridge Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Northridge Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who have sustained falls leading to major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Northridge Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Northridge Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used to treat a variety of conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Northridge Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Northridge Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Northridge Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Northridge Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Some believe that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Northridge Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Northridge Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Northridge Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Northridge Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Northridge Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Reseda, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Reseda, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Northridge Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.56 miles away18300 Roscoe Blvd Northridge California 91325Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 885-8500
- Providence Tarzana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3 miles away18321 Clark Street Tarzana California 91356Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 881-0800
- Providence Holy Cross Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.25 miles away15031 Rinaldi St Mission Hills California 91346Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 365-8051
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.27 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Pacifica Hospital of the ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 8.2 miles away9449 San Fernando Rd Sun Valley California 91352Proprietary(818) 767-3310
- Lac/Olive View-Ucla Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.26 miles away14445 Olive View Drive Sylmar California 91342Voluntary non-profit - Other(818) 364-1555
- Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UclaPsychiatric 11.58 miles away150 Medical Plaza-Rm-4230c Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6962
- Ronald Reagan U C L a Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.65 miles away757 Westwood Plaza Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6301
- Nrc-Northridge Dialysis Center1.47 miles away9325 Reseda Blvd. Northridge California 91324CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (818) 993-6700
- Northridge Kidney Care Center1.69 miles away19333 Business Center Drive Northridge California 91324Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 709-9999
- u.s. Renal Care Northridge Dialysis2.12 miles away18546 Roscoe Blvd., Suite 108 Northridge California 91324CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 886-3771
- Davita-South Valley Dialysis3.52 miles away17815 Ventura Blvd., Suite 100 Encino California 91316CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 757-4520
- Nrc-Kidney Care Center of North Valley, Inc3.66 miles away16907 Devonshire Street Granada Hills California 91344CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 366-4600
- Davita Warner Center Dialysis3.98 miles away21040 Califa St Suite A Woodland Hills California 91367Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 715-9602
- Davita-Valley Dialysis Center4.56 miles away6840 Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 101 Van Nuys California 91405CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (818) 779-1450
- Fmc-Woodland Hills Dialysis Center4.79 miles away19836 Ventura Blvd., Suite C Woodland Hills California 91364CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (818) 713-9040