Northbridge Health Care Center is a large nursing home in Bridgeport, Connecticut. With an overall rating of C, this appears to be a middle of the pack facility. Based on our analysis, there are certainly far worse places out there. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's report card is its stellar inspection rating, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Northbridge Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Best Nursing Home in Connecticut Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Connecticut Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this ended up being a decent nursing home is that it earned an elite inspection score. Its inspection score was far better than its overall grade. In the inspections category, we gave this facility a grade of A. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better scores in this area usually have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also received an impressive long-term care grade. Indeed, we gave them a B+ in this category, which is one of our better. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 68.04124 percent of its residents. This is somewhat less than we expected. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Northbridge Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we gave this facility a rock-bottom F in the category of short-term care. Our short-term care scores are based on a facility's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a wide spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. With its grade in this category, we weren't stunned to find that this nursing home is well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the figures we looked at. Frankly, this was what we expected here. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
The last category we scored is nursing, which proved to be this facility's worst category. It received an abysmal F for this area, which is clearly very concerning. Nursing scores are based in large part on levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Northbridge Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Northbridge Health Care Center, 6.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Northbridge Health Care Center, 3.55% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care residents that suffered falls which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Northbridge Health Care Center, 1.93% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Northbridge Health Care Center, 14.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used for treating several medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Northbridge Health Care Center, 17.2% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly used to treat patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Northbridge Health Care Center, 6.52% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Northbridge Health Care Center, 88.27% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Northbridge Health Care Center, 17.82% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Northbridge Health Care Center, 22.18% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility. Many would argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' mental and physical health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Northbridge Health Care Center, 22.18 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Northbridge Health Care Center, 9.56 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Northbridge Health Care Center, 75.26% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements.
- St Vincent's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.11 miles away2800 Main St Bridgeport Connecticut 06606Voluntary non-profit - Church(203) 576-5551
- Bridgeport HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.1 miles away267 Grant Street Bridgeport Connecticut 06610Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 384-3000
- Milford Hospital, IncAcute Care Hospitals 7.25 miles away300 Seaside Avenue Milford Connecticut 06460Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 876-4000
- Griffin HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.19 miles away130 Division St Derby Connecticut 06418Voluntary non-profit - Other(203) 732-7500
- Norwalk HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.99 miles away24 Stevens Street Norwalk Connecticut 06856Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 852-2000
- Yale-New Haven HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.68 miles away20 York St New Haven Connecticut 06504Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 688-4242
- Danbury HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.76 miles away24 Hospital Ave Danbury Connecticut 06810Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 739-7000
- St Charles HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.11 miles away200 Belle Terre Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 474-6000
- Davita Bridgeport Dialysis0.57 miles away900 Madison Avenue Bridgeport Connecticut 06606CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 51 (203) 335-0191
- Fresenius Medical Care of Fairfield2.54 miles away500 Kings Hwy Fairfield Connecticut 06825Dialysis Stations: 18 (203) 583-8875
- Davita Black Rock Dialysis2.9 miles away427 Stillson Rd Fairfield Connecticut 06824CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (203) 382-9566
- Hawley Lane - Davita3.68 miles away425 Hawley Ln Stratford Connecticut 06614Dialysis Stations: 25 (203) 375-5438
- Davita Milford Dialysis5.81 miles away470 Bridgeport Avenue Milford Connecticut 06460CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (203) 301-9040
- Davita Shelton Dialysis6.41 miles away750 Bridgeport Avenue Shelton Connecticut 06484CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (203) 925-9520
- u.s.renal Care Orange Dialysis11.18 miles away240 Indian River Rd, Suite D Orange Connecticut 06477CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (203) 891-8992
- Total Renal Care Inc12.28 miles away112 Main Street Norwalk Connecticut 06851Dialysis Stations: 13 (203) 229-0420