Northampton Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center is a small nursing home in Hampton, Virginia. This turns out to be a solid facility, with an overall grade of B-. This facility has a few things working in its favor. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's report card is its remarkable inspection score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Northampton Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Hampton senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it received an elite inspection score. Its inspection score was far superior to its overall grade. In our inspections category, we gave this facility an A. Inspection grades are based on many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this area typically have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home received its next most favorable category grade in the area of short-term care. We awarded this facility a B- in this area, which is a reasonably acceptable grade. Short-term care ratings are based in part on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a broad scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. It does not appear that this nursing home provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents that were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.8 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Northampton Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third highest category we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a B-. For residents looking for a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care grades are an important measure. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. We were optimistic to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The next category we scored was nursing. In this category, we awarded this facility a grade of C. Nursing scores are based in large part on levels of nurse staffing. This facility averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day, which is well below average. Finally, our nursing ratings also consider quality-based measures, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this nursing home performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically a good indicator that a facility has quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a nursing home provides enough nurses aids to assist its residents.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Northampton Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Northampton Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 8.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term patients which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Northampton Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Northampton Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 2.25% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Northampton Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 15.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for treating several medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Northampton Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 19.63% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Northampton Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 5.07% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some experts would argue that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Northampton Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 88.92% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Northampton Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 17.15% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the decline of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Northampton Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 18.14% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Northampton Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 1.38 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Northampton Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 18.14 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Northampton Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 12.25 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Northampton Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 74.96% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements.
- Sentara Careplex HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.39 miles away3000 Coliseum Drive Hampton Virginia 23666Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 736-1000
- Riverside Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.12 miles away500 J Clyde Morris Blvd Newport News Virginia 23601Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 594-2000
- Mary Immaculate HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.02 miles away2 Bernardine Drive Newport News Virginia 23602Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 886-6000
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.98 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 14.48 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.51 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.12 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 15.53 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Rai - Mercury Blvd-Hampton1.17 miles away3319 West Mercury Blvd Hampton Virginia 23666CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 826-1795
- Butler Farm Dialysis1.76 miles away501 a Butler Farm Rd Hampton Virginia 23666CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (757) 766-1921
- Davita - Newport News1.96 miles away711 79th Street Newport News Virginia 23605CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (757) 245-8090
- Jefferson Avenue Dialysis2.14 miles away11234 Jefferson Ave Newport News Virginia 23601CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (757) 595-6167
- Zara Dialysis LLC2.14 miles away11234 Jefferson Ave Ste B Newport News Virginia 23601Dialysis Stations: 8 (757) 595-5469
- Rai - Thimble Shoals-Newport News3.17 miles away739 Thimble Shoals Blvd Ste 600 Newport News Virginia 23606CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 873-1090
- Langley Dialysis4.48 miles away5 W. Mercury Boulevard Hampton Virginia 23669CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (757) 723-4620
- Rai - Chesapeake-Newport News4.63 miles away225 Chesapeake Avenue Newport News Virginia 23607Dialysis Stations: 10 (757) 247-4080