North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center is a senior living facility located in Wexford, Pennsylvania, which has a total of 21,202 people. This nursing home is an A rated facility, which is one of the best scores that we offer. Based on our assessment, this place would be a wonderful choice for just about anybody. As you can see below, this nursing home also performed well in our category scores. It would be hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are quite minor. Although this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, this nursing home received superb marks in the category of short-term care. For this reason, it was given one of our highest scores in that category with a grade of A+. In determining our short-term care ratings, we scrutinize a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This score is often a solid measure of the nursing home's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to point out the fact that this nursing home received a strong score of A in our long-term care category. Facilities that excel in long-term care typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. On top of considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia sadly can be a life or death ailment for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a facility does not take any chances. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
In the last category we scored, this nursing home received a very favorable grade of B+ in our nursing category. With this grade, the facility topped off a first-rate profile. The nursing rating weighs many subcategories, most of which are based on levels of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term residents that have pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term patients that had UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint can be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center, 3.23% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some would argue this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center, 88.5% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing. Some argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
- Upmc PassavantAcute Care Hospitals 5.37 miles away9100 Babcock Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 367-6700
- Heritage Valley SewickleyAcute Care Hospitals 9.07 miles away720 Blackburn Road Sewickley Pennsylvania 15143Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 741-7000
- Ohio Valley General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.67 miles away25 Heckel Road Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 777-6161
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.98 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 13.48 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.54 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 14.5 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- Heritage Valley BeaverAcute Care Hospitals 14.54 miles away1000 Dutch Ridge Road Beaver Pennsylvania 15009Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 728-7000
- Dci of Seven Fields3.44 miles away201 Highpointe Drive Mars Pennsylvania 16046Dialysis Stations: 19 (724) 779-3930
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Cranberry3.62 miles away5 Saint Francis Way Cranberry Twp Pennsylvania 16066Dialysis Stations: 7 (724) 779-9770
- Dci of North Hills7.18 miles away3412 Babcock Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (412) 635-0211
- Davita Avonworth Dialysis7.26 miles away259 Mt. Nebo Pointe Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237Dialysis Stations: 9 (412) 364-3238
- Liberty Dialysis - Baden8.73 miles away1682 State Street Baden Pennsylvania 15005CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (724) 869-2830
- Dci of North Borough Clinic10.03 miles away100 South Jackson Avenue, 7th Central Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15202Dialysis Stations: 8 (412) 766-6590
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Shaler10.62 miles away880 Butler Street Shaler Plaza Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15223Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 782-3790
- Davita Thorn Run Dialysis11.43 miles away1136 Thorn Run Road, Suite j1 Coraopolis Pennsylvania 15108Dialysis Stations: 15 (412) 269-2304