North Gate Health Care Facility is in North Tonawanda, New York. With an overall score of B, this nursing home is a quality option. This nursing home truly has plenty of good features. We were also pleased to find that this facility didn't have any bad scores in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories is available below.
North Gate Health Care Facility
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Aquatic Therapy
Best Nursing Home in North Tonawanda, New York Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in North Tonawanda, New York Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this facility performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A+. Arguably the most important factor we look at in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places with better scores in this category typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a strong long-term care score. Indeed, we gave it an above average grade of B+ in this category. Nursing homes that excel in this category tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. Once we concluded our assessment of the amount of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is too frequently a deadly condition for nursing home patients so we like it when a nursing home doesn't roll the dice on this issue. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about North Gate Health Care Facility?
In addition, this facility also received favorable nursing grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. Our nursing grade is mostly tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of turning residents at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
Our next area is short-term care, in which we gave this nursing home a B- in this area. Short-term care scores are crucial for residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more skilled nursing. This includes a vast range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents that were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 4.8 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually quite a bit below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
North Gate Health Care Facility Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In North Gate Health Care Facility, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In North Gate Health Care Facility, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care patients which sustained a fall which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In North Gate Health Care Facility, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who suffered from UTI's. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In North Gate Health Care Facility, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In North Gate Health Care Facility, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In North Gate Health Care Facility, 13.2% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some would argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In North Gate Health Care Facility, 91.26% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In North Gate Health Care Facility, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In North Gate Health Care Facility, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that retained mobility levels.
In North Gate Health Care Facility, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In North Gate Health Care Facility, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In North Gate Health Care Facility, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In North Gate Health Care Facility, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Kenmore Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.75 miles away2950 Elmwood Avenue Buffalo New York 14217Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 447-6100
- Niagara Falls Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.32 miles away621 Tenth Street Niagara Falls New York 14302Voluntary non-profit - Other(716) 278-4000
- Mount St Mary's Hospital and Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.92 miles away5300 Military Road Lewiston New York 14092Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 297-4800
- Sisters of Charity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.13 miles away2157 Main Street Buffalo New York 14214Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 862-1000
- Erie County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.39 miles away462 Grider Street Buffalo New York 14215Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 898-3936
- Eastern Niagara HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.11 miles away521 East Avenue Lockport New York 14094Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 514-5700
- Kaleida HealthAcute Care Hospitals 12.12 miles away100 High Street Buffalo New York 14210Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 859-8620
- Mercy Hospital of BuffaloAcute Care Hospitals 15.98 miles away565 Abbott Road Buffalo New York 14220Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 826-7000
- Us Renal Care Tonawanda Dialysis5.42 miles away3161 Eggert Road Tonawanda New York 14150CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 832-0159
- Davita Northtowns Dialysis Center5.6 miles away4041 Delaware Avenue Ste 150 Tonawanda New York 14150CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (716) 871-8103
- Niagara Dialysis Center6.73 miles away2932 Military Road Niagara Falls New York 14304Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 297-4059
- Us Renal Care Amherst Dialysis6.73 miles away2880, Sheridan Dr Tonawanda New York 14150Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 541-9165
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Wheatfield6.8 miles away3909 Forest Parkway North Tonawanda New York 14120Dialysis Stations: 15 (716) 696-6193
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Niagara6.8 miles away3018 Military Road Niagara Falls New York 14304Dialysis Stations: 15 (716) 298-4195
- Davita Suburban Dialysis7.83 miles away705 Maple Road Suite 600 Buffalo New York 14221CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (716) 630-6640
- Fms-Kenmore Artificial Kidney Center8.07 miles away1508 Sheridan Drive Buffalo New York 14217CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (716) 871-9988