North Decatur Health and Rehabilitation Center is a small facility located in Decatur, Georgia. It looks like this nursing home is ranked among the higher-graded nursing homes we assessed. A grade in this range requires first-rate marks across the board. We really can't say enough great things about this place. Scroll down to see this facility's category scores, which are also quite good. It would be hard to find any major flaws in this facility's profile.
North Decatur Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to point out that this facility has received near flawless inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A+ in this area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection scores. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are quite insignificant. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its high-end resume, this facility also received an excellent long-term care grade, with a grade of A-. Facilities that receive this kind of score in long-term care tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure patients are well cared for. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 98.73418 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is often a life or death health condition for nursing home residents so we prefer when a facility does not leave this to chance. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about North Decatur Health and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on our next area, this nursing home was awarded first-rate short-term care grade. In fact, it received a score of A- in this area. Our short-term care grade is typically employed to grade a facility's performance with rehabilitation To offer highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from the facility. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
The final area we assessed is nursing. We awarded this nursing home one of our better scores in this area, with a grade of B. Although this isn't as strong as many of this facility's other scores, it is nevertheless a perfectly acceptable grade. The nursing grade consists of many factors, most of which are based on nursing hours. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
North Decatur Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In North Decatur Health and Rehabilitation Center, 10.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In North Decatur Health and Rehabilitation Center, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In North Decatur Health and Rehabilitation Center, 3.23% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better hygiene protocols can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In North Decatur Health and Rehabilitation Center, 18.13% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Tragically, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In North Decatur Health and Rehabilitation Center, 21.48% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In North Decatur Health and Rehabilitation Center, 5.43% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients showing depressive symptoms. High rates of depression could indicate a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In North Decatur Health and Rehabilitation Center, 93.26% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In North Decatur Health and Rehabilitation Center, 17.3% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In North Decatur Health and Rehabilitation Center, 23.05% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In North Decatur Health and Rehabilitation Center, 23.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In North Decatur Health and Rehabilitation Center, 11.54 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In North Decatur Health and Rehabilitation Center, 69.88% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's typically correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Decatur, GA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Decatur, Georgia has 5 other nursing homes
- Emory Decatur HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.24 miles away2701 N Decatur Road Decatur Georgia 30033Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 501-1000
- Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at EglestonChildrens 2.43 miles away1405 Clifton Road, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30322Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 785-6101
- Emory University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.43 miles away1364 Clifton Road, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30322Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 686-8500
- Wellstar Atlanta Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.89 miles away303 Parkway Drive, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30312Proprietary(404) 265-4000
- Emory University Hospital MidtownAcute Care Hospitals 6.37 miles away550 Peachtree Street, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30308Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 686-4411
- Piedmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.65 miles away1968 Peachtree Rd Nw Atlanta Georgia 30309Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 605-5000
- Grady Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.67 miles away80 Jesse Hill, Jr Drive Se Atlanta Georgia 30303Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 616-4252
- Saint Joseph's Hospital of Atlanta, IncAcute Care Hospitals 8.92 miles away5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Road Atlanta Georgia 30342Voluntary non-profit - Private(678) 843-5720
- Fmc of Dekalb Gwinnett Inc0.22 miles away497 Winn Way Suite 160 Decatur Georgia 30030Dialysis Stations: 20 (404) 294-7070
- Dci Dekalb0.67 miles away558 Medlock Road Decatur Georgia 30030Dialysis Stations: 12 (404) 371-0499
- Emory Dialysis LLC1.39 miles away2165 North Decatur Road Suite 100 Decatur Georgia 30033Dialysis Stations: 22 (404) 251-2330
- Fmcna Dialysis Services of Decatur1.65 miles away2721 Irwin Way Decatur Georgia 30030Dialysis Stations: 21 (404) 298-5450
- Southern Lane Dialysis2.02 miles away1840 Southern Lane Decatur Georgia 30033Dialysis Stations: 16 (404) 325-8884
- Dsi Dekalb Dialysis2.29 miles away4570b Memorial Drive Decatur Georgia 30032Dialysis Stations: 13 (404) 720-8154
- Comprehensive Renal Care of Northlake LLC2.86 miles away1350 Montreal Road Suite 200 Tucker Georgia 30084CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (678) 406-0825
- Montreal Dialysis3.42 miles away1901 Montreal Road Tucker Georgia 30084Dialysis Stations: 13 (770) 938-9565