North Crest Living Center is a small nursing home located in Council Bluffs, Iowa. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of B-, which is a good rating. Based on our analysis, this facility has some redeeming qualities. The best part of this facility's profile was its stellar inspection grade. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
North Crest Living Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Best Nursing Home in Council Bluffs, Iowa Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Council Bluffs, Iowa Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not bad, it really fared well in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A+ for that category, which is one of our highest scores. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection scores. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively insignificant. While this facility had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
An additional strength of this facility is its very impressive score in long-term care. We gave it one of our best grades in that category, with a grade of A-. When nursing homes receive this kind of score in this category it is a good sign for resident care and suggests that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses aids. One of the statistics we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. This is a reliable method to avoid unnecessary deaths for the elderly population. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about North Crest Living Center?
Another strength of this nursing home is its favorable grade in nursing. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with an impressive grade of D. Nursing ratings are heavily correlated with nurse staffing levels. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed is short-term care, which was this nursing home's least impressive category. We gave it an F in this category, which is clearly a major disappointment. With our short-term care grade, we endeavor to create a sound barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we analyze the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. It looks like this place was subpar in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the measures we assessed. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who eventually returned home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.4 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
North Crest Living Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In North Crest Living Center, 6.11% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term patients who suffered from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In North Crest Living Center, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term care patients that had a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In North Crest Living Center, 3.09% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In North Crest Living Center, 16.77% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term patients who are given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In North Crest Living Center, 18.7% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In North Crest Living Center, 4.48% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some experts would argue that this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In North Crest Living Center, 94.58% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In North Crest Living Center, 16.82% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In North Crest Living Center, 19.24% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In North Crest Living Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In North Crest Living Center, 19.24 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In North Crest Living Center, 11.86 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In North Crest Living Center, 79.45% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living usually correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Council Bluffs, IA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Council Bluffs, Iowa has 4 other nursing homes
- Methodist Jennie EdmundsonAcute Care Hospitals 0.42 miles away933 East Pierce Street Council Bluffs Iowa 51503Voluntary non-profit - Private(712) 396-6000
- Chi Health Mercy Council BluffsAcute Care Hospitals 0.47 miles away800 Mercy Drive Council Bluffs Iowa 51503Voluntary non-profit - Private(712) 328-5000
- Chi Health Creighton University Medical Center - BAcute Care Hospitals 10.6 miles away7500 Mercy Rd Omaha Nebraska 68124Voluntary non-profit - Private(402) 398-6060
- Chi Health ImmanuelAcute Care Hospitals 10.62 miles away6901 North 72nd St Omaha Nebraska 68122Voluntary non-profit - Private(402) 572-2121
- Children's Hospital & Medical CenterChildrens 10.99 miles away8200 Dodge St Omaha Nebraska 68114Voluntary non-profit - Private(402) 955-5400
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.03 miles away8303 Dodge St Omaha Nebraska 68114Voluntary non-profit - Private(402) 354-4000
- Bellevue Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.17 miles away2500 Bellevue Medical Center Dr Bellevue Nebraska 68123Proprietary(402) 763-3600
- Chi Health MidlandsAcute Care Hospitals 14.51 miles away11111 South 84th St Papillion Nebraska 68046Voluntary non-profit - Church(402) 593-3000
- Council Bluffs Dialysis Center1.25 miles away300 W Broadway Suite 150 Council Bluffs Iowa 51503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (712) 388-0261
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Omaha7.02 miles away3316 Dodge St. Omaha Nebraska 68131CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (402) 342-0190
- Omaha Central Dialysis7.51 miles away144 S 40th Street Omaha Nebraska 68131Dialysis Stations: 17 (402) 558-0818
- Omaha Florence Dialysis7.64 miles away7454 N 30th St Omaha Nebraska 68112Dialysis Stations: 12 (402) 451-0723
- Rai Care Center8.03 miles away4411 Center Ste A Omaha Nebraska 68105CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (402) 558-3284
- Omaha South Dialysis8.08 miles away3339 L Street Omaha Nebraska 68107CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (402) 734-0772
- Rai Care Center - Ames Ave8.61 miles away5084 Ames Ave Omaha Nebraska 68104Dialysis Stations: 17 (402) 451-7754
- Cornhusker Dialysis9.51 miles away505 Cornhusker Rd #107 Bellevue Nebraska 68005Dialysis Stations: 12 (402) 292-2813