North Canyon Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Bountiful, Utah. With an overall grade of A, this facility is ranked among the top facilities we found. In fact, this facility has the distinction of being one of the 50 best facilities in Utah. Keep reading to find this nursing home's category scores, which are also strong. It's hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
North Canyon Care Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
350 South 400 East,
Bountiful UT 84010
44.01% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this place received a great overall grade is that it received an A+ in short-term care. This is as good as it gets in this category. In calculating our short-term care grades, we scrutinize the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This rating is more often than not a useful measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. This nursing home is the gold standard when it comes to skilled nursing staffing. The facility offered approximately one and a half times as many physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the typical facility. This is what we like to find when assessing a nursing home in this category. The last datapoint we assessed in this area is the number of patients that returned home from the nursing home. We found that it fared as well as just about any nursing home in Utah in this area with 70.6 percent of its patients returning home.
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that category. Our nursing score is based on several components, but the main consideration is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This place boasts an impressive 3.9 hours of nursing care per patient daily, of which more than one hour of these hours were provided by registered nurses. This is one of the most highly trained levels of nurses. Finally, this nursing home also excelled in the quality-based metrics we looked at. It performed as well as any facility Utah when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Does this page answer your questions about North Canyon Care Center?
Tallying another strong category grade, this nursing home also excelled in inspections, where it earned an impressive grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Inspection scores weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this area typically have very few of these severe deficiencies. This facility received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that CMS did not consider any of these deficiencies an imminent threat to resident health or safety. A few minor dings are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
The fourth area we looked at is long-term care, where this facility was awarded a grade of B+. This finished off a first-rate profile. Not many nursing homes received a B+ or better in all four categories. Facilities that receive this type of score in long-term care tend to provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are well cared for. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is far higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
North Canyon Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In North Canyon Care Center, 5.88% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In North Canyon Care Center, 3.49% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care patients which have suffered a fall which caused severe injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In North Canyon Care Center, 2.64% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In North Canyon Care Center, 14.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In North Canyon Care Center, 21.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In North Canyon Care Center, 11.43% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Increased rates of depression may reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In North Canyon Care Center, 83.42% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In North Canyon Care Center, 13.23% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In North Canyon Care Center, 18.94% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In North Canyon Care Center, 18.94 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In North Canyon Care Center, 10.55 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In North Canyon Care Center, 71.32% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Lakeview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.21 miles away630 East Medical Drive Bountiful Utah 84010Voluntary non-profit - Other(801) 299-2200
- Lds HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.43 miles away8th Avenue and C Street Salt Lake City Utah 84143Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 408-1100
- Salt Lake Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.08 miles away1050 East South Temple Salt Lake City Utah 84102Proprietary(801) 350-4111
- University of Utah Hospitals and ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 8.1 miles away50 North Medical Drive Salt Lake City Utah 84132Government - State(801) 581-2121
- Primary Childrens HospitalChildrens 8.11 miles away100 North Mario Capecchi Drive Salt Lake City Utah 84113Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 662-6212
- Layton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.71 miles away201 West Layton Parkway Layton Utah 84041Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 543-6703
- St Mark's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.78 miles away1200 East 3900 South Salt Lake City Utah 84124Proprietary(801) 268-7700
- Davis Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.51 miles away1600 West Antelope Drive Layton Utah 84041Proprietary(801) 807-7001
- Lakeside Dialysis Center1.02 miles away532 S 500 W Bountiful Utah 84010Dialysis Stations: 12 (801) 299-3470
- Liberty Dialysis - Woodscross (Fmc)1.16 miles away572 W 750 S Bountiful Utah 84010Dialysis Stations: 12 (801) 292-2658
- West Bountiful Dialysis (Dva)1.42 miles away724 W 500 S Ste 300 Woods Cross Utah 84087Dialysis Stations: 12 (801) 296-9091
- Primary Children's Dialysis Center8.13 miles away81 North Mario Capecchi Dr Salt Lake City Utah 84113Dialysis Stations: 6 (801) 662-7600
- Kolff Dialysis Center/Univ. Of Utah9.12 miles away423 Wakara Way Suite 200 Salt Lake City Utah 84108Dialysis Stations: 17 (801) 581-3981
- Utah Dialysis Lab9.61 miles away1000 S Main St Ste 105 Salt Lake City Utah 84101Dialysis Stations: 19 (801) 408-1400
- Anthem Dialysis, LLC11.85 miles away520 North Kays Drive Suite 1 Kaysville Utah 84037Dialysis Stations: 1 (385) 420-7500
- Fresenius Kidney Care Wasatch13.53 miles away3702 South State Street, Suite 101 Salt Lake City Utah 84115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 904-4407