Norriton Square Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is one of six nursing homes located in Norristown, Pennsylvania. This nursing home received an overall grade of D in our grading scheme. Norristown received a city grade of B-, so there are other options in the city worth looking at. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category is inspections, which is discussed in the next section.
Norriton Square Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Norriton Square Nursing and Rehabilitation Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While this place's overall score is not a highlight, it received a slightly more favorable grade in the area of inspections. We awarded it a B- for this category, which is not bad. Inspection scores are tied to several datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to resident safety. This particular nursing home received 7 deficiencies on its inspection report. We are also concerned by the fact that this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of B- for that category, which is not a bad score. Our nursing score focuses on the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of licensure of the nurses and the quantity of hours spent with residents. This nursing home provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is a somewhat uninspiring figure which is well below the national average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics. Although this place got dinged a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in some of these quality-based measures. With less than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it did very well in this metric. This is typically a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a policy of moving patients at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Norriton Square Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next most favorable area was short-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a grade of B-. In computing our short-term care grades, we look at a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This grade is frequently a meaningful assessment of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients that returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5.8 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually quite a bit below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the final category, this facility was awarded an acceptable long-term care score of B-. With our long-term care score, we analyze the quantity of care provided by a facility, along with a handful of quality measures. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We discovered that this facility vaccinated a relatively low 64.68532 percent of its residents, which is a bit of a concern. Nevertheless, this facility keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Norriton Square Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Norriton Square Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Norriton Square Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Norriton Square Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Norriton Square Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents which were given antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to having more residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Norriton Square Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who are given antianxiety medication. These drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Norriton Square Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.12% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Norriton Square Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 88.22% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Norriton Square Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Norriton Square Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Norriton Square Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Norriton Square Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Norriton Square Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Norriton Square Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Norristown, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Norristown, Pennsylvania has 5 other nursing homes
- Suburban Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.03 miles away2701 Dekalb Pike Norristown Pennsylvania 19401Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 278-2000
- Einstein Medical Center MontgomeryAcute Care Hospitals 1.56 miles away559 West Germantown Pike Norristown Pennsylvania 19403Voluntary non-profit - Private(484) 662-1000
- Chestnut Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.1 miles away8835 Germantown Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118Proprietary(215) 248-8200
- Main Line Hospital Bryn Mawr CampusAcute Care Hospitals 7.8 miles away130 South Bryn Mawr Ave Bryn Mawr Pennsylvania 19010Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 526-3000
- Horsham ClinicPsychiatric 8.51 miles away722 East Butler Pike Ambler Pennsylvania 19002Proprietary(215) 643-7800
- Lansdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.05 miles away100 Medical Campus Drive Lansdale Pennsylvania 19446Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 368-2100
- Roxborough Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.41 miles away5800 Ridge Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19128Proprietary(215) 483-9900
- Phoenixville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.83 miles away140 Nutt Road Phoenixville Pennsylvania 19460Proprietary(610) 983-1000
- Total Renal Care, Inc.0.11 miles away1700 Markley Street, Suite 122 Norristown Pennsylvania 19401Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 313-8760
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Montgomery East0.49 miles away1350 Powell Street Norristown Pennsylvania 19401CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 277-7535
- Fresenius Kidney Care - East Norriton1.4 miles away2925 Dekalb Pike Norristown Pennsylvania 19401CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (610) 279-0776
- Davita - Radnor Dialysis6.27 miles away250 King of Prussia Road Wayne Pennsylvania 19087Dialysis Stations: 12 (610) 254-0070
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Harston Hall6.99 miles away350 Haws Lane Flourtown Pennsylvania 19031Dialysis Stations: 9 (215) 233-0181
- Davita North Wales Dialysis7.09 miles away1551 S. Valley Forge Road Lansdale Pennsylvania 19446Dialysis Stations: 13 (215) 361-6192
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Abramson7.47 miles away1425 Horsham Rd North Wales Pennsylvania 19454Dialysis Stations: 9 (215) 646-3525
- Renal Care Group East, Inc.7.68 miles away780 W Lancaster Avenue, Suite 102 Bryn Mawr Pennsylvania 19010Dialysis Stations: 20 (610) 525-1793