Normandy Nursing Center is located in the large metropolitan area of Saint Louis, Missouri which has a total of 927,396 people. Sporting an overall score of D, this is a lower end facility. Fortunately, if you aren't satisfied with this facility, there are 35 nursing homes to choose from in the city so you should be able to find a better option. The best thing we can say about this facility is that it didn't receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Normandy Nursing Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
7301 St Charles Rock Rd,
Saint Louis MO 63133
34.65% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Normandy Nursing Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home overall, we awarded it a B- for inspections. This grade is more respectable than this place's overall score. We would argue that one of the most important factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially focus on the severity of the deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. In addition to having severe deficiencies, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
We also awarded this facility a grade of B- for our nursing rating. Our nursing score is largely tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 3.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed a few nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these statistics. With less than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared well in this metric. This is usually a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of turning a patient more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Normandy Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facilities next most favorable category was short-term care. We awarded it a B- in this category. This is basically a slightly below average score in this area. Our short-term care scores are crucial for residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing. This includes a broad range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. We found that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. In fact, it offered fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is still important to determine whether this is adversely impacting the quality of care. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we assessed is long-term care. For this category, we awarded this facility a grade of B-. With our long-term care assessment, we weigh the sheer volume of services provided by a nursing home, as well as a few qualitative measures. One of the statistics we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. Frankly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to just 76.92308 percent of its residents. Fortunately, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Normandy Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Normandy Nursing Center, 9.56% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percent of long-term patients that developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Normandy Nursing Center, 4.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who experienced falls resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Normandy Nursing Center, 3.44% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Normandy Nursing Center, 20.38% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used for treating a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Normandy Nursing Center, 24.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly used to treat patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Normandy Nursing Center, 4.04% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Normandy Nursing Center, 89.97% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Normandy Nursing Center, 14.55% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Normandy Nursing Center, 15.54% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Normandy Nursing Center, 15.54 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Normandy Nursing Center, 11.99 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 34 other nursing homes
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 3.7 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.82 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Christian Hospital Northeast-NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 7.17 miles away11133 Dunn Road Saint Louis Missouri 63136Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 653-5000
- Ssm Health Depaul Hospital St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 7.9 miles away12303 Depaul Drive Bridgeton Missouri 63044Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 344-6000
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.16 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.38 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.56 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.86 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Fmc - University City1.59 miles away6850 Olive Blvd Saint Louis Missouri 63130CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (314) 726-0378
- Natural Bridge Dialysis2.29 miles away8980 Natural Bridge Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63121Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 426-2064
- Fresenius of Normandy2.39 miles away25 North Oaks Plaza Saint Louis Missouri 63121CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (314) 389-4105
- St Louis Renal Care - Midtown2.43 miles away5901 Delmar Blvd Saint Louis Missouri 63112Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 862-2138
- Gateway St Louis Dialysis, LLC2.87 miles away4100 Union Blvd Saint Louis Missouri 63115Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 382-3480
- St Louis Dialysis2.93 miles away324 Debaliviere Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63112CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (314) 367-9111
- Westfall Dialysis3.55 miles away8029 W Florissant Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63136Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 382-2869
- Saint Louis Childrens Hospital Dialysis4.16 miles awayOne Childrens Place 2n90 Saint Louis Missouri 63110Dialysis Stations: 5 (314) 454-6065