NHC HealthCare Mauldin is a large nursing home in Greenville, South Carolina. It looks like this nursing home is one of the highest-graded facilities we looked at. In fact, it received our most impressive grade. Even in a city offering 12 other nursing homes, this nursing home caught our attention as a great selection. This facility also received phenomenal scores in all four of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
NHC HealthCare Mauldin
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
Top Nursing Home in South Carolina Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in South Carolina Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in South Carolina Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with a favorable overall grade, we awarded this facility an A+ for our inspections rating. Inspection ratings weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this category usually have few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to point out the fact that this nursing home fared very well in our long-term care category. We gave them an exemplary grade of A+ in this area. When nursing homes receive this type of score in long-term care it is usually a good sign for patient care and indicates that the facility is well-staffed with nurses aids. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is significantly higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about NHC HealthCare Mauldin?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also received a dominant short-term care score. In fact, this ended up being this facility's third strongest category score. In that area, this facility received a grade of A. In our short-term care assessment, we attempt to forge a valuable measure for rehabilitation services. In this process, we assess the facility's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Moving on to our final category, this facility also performed admirably in the nursing category. In fact, we gave it an A- for that category. This rounded out truly elite profile. Our nursing score looks at the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of licensure of those nurses and the number of hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
NHC HealthCare Mauldin Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In NHC HealthCare Mauldin, 9.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In NHC HealthCare Mauldin, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percent of long-term residents who sustained falls resulting in severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In NHC HealthCare Mauldin, 3.18% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to worse hygiene protocols. Closer supervision can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In NHC HealthCare Mauldin, 15.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many medical conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In NHC HealthCare Mauldin, 19.68% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In NHC HealthCare Mauldin, 2.85% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients showing symptoms of depression. Higher levels of depression may be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In NHC HealthCare Mauldin, 88.92% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In NHC HealthCare Mauldin, 14.02% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In NHC HealthCare Mauldin, 20.24% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In NHC HealthCare Mauldin, 1.69 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to preserving the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In NHC HealthCare Mauldin, 20.24 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In NHC HealthCare Mauldin, 12.31 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In NHC HealthCare Mauldin, 73.11% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some argue this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Greenville, SC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Greenville, South Carolina has 11 other nursing homes
- Prisma Health Greenville Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.62 miles away905 Verdae Blvd Suite 102 Greenville South Carolina 29605Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 455-7000
- Pelham Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.72 miles away250 Westmoreland Road Greer South Carolina 29651Government - Hospital District or Authority(864) 560-6554
- Prisma Health Hillcrest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.22 miles away741 South East Main Street Simpsonville South Carolina 29681Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 454-6100
- Prisma Health Greer Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.45 miles away830 South Buncombe Road Greer South Carolina 29650Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 848-8200
- Prisma Health Baptist Easley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.37 miles away200 Fleetwood Drive Easley South Carolina 29640Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 442-7606
- Usrc Mauldin LLC1.8 miles away1328 Highway 14 Simpsonville South Carolina 29681Dialysis Stations: 12 (864) 881-4015
- Dsi Home Dialysis Pleasantburg5.06 miles away110 Chalmers Road, Suite D Greenville South Carolina 29605Dialysis Stations: 3 (864) 558-2375
- Dsi Pleasantburg Dialysis5.06 miles away110 Chalmers Dr Ste C Greenville South Carolina 29605CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (864) 558-2365
- Dsi Powderhorn Dialysis5.81 miles away16 Powderhorn Road Simpsonville South Carolina 29681CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (864) 962-2222
- Greenville Dialysis Clinic, LLC7.2 miles away220-a Howe Street Greenville South Carolina 29601Dialysis Stations: 20 (864) 271-2002
- Upstate Dialysis Center7.23 miles away308 Mills Ave Greenville South Carolina 29605CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (864) 271-3700
- Dsi Greenville Renal Center7.56 miles away1004 Grove Road Greenville South Carolina 29605CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (864) 242-0802
- Greer South Dialysis7.82 miles away3254 Brushy Creek Road Greer South Carolina 29650CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (864) 801-2065