Nhc Healthcare, Maryland Heights is a senior living facility located in Maryland Heights, Missouri. This city has a population of 22,367 people. Sporting an overall grade of A-, this facility is ranked among the higher-rated nursing homes we assessed. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top fifth of all nursing homes in the United States. This place's strong profile was highlighted by its long-term care score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Nhc Healthcare, Maryland Heights
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2920 Fee Fee Road,
Maryland Heights MO 63043
80.81% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
We also found that this facility excelled in our long-term care rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. When nursing homes receive this kind of grade in this category it is usually a good sign for patient care and indicates that the facility is well-staffed with nurses and aids. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. Lastly, we looked at its number of hospitalizations. Here we found that this facility had 2.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days.
This facility also received a nearly flawless inspection report. As a result, it earned one of our highest scores in that area with an A+. This is one of the few nursing homes to receive multiple A+ category grades. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher scores in this area most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Nhc Healthcare, Maryland Heights?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provides 3.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of moving a resident even once per day.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the fourth area, this facility received an excellent short-term care score. Although this isn't quite as impressive as some of its other scores, this remains one of the better scores we offer. In computing our short-term care scores, we scrutinize a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This rating is often a meaningful measure of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, this nursing home offers both physical therapists and registered nurses. Not all facilities offer both. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. It outperformed the majority of facilities with 50.2 percent of its residents returning home. This is a higher rate than most nursing homes.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Nhc Healthcare, Maryland Heights Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Nhc Healthcare, Maryland Heights, 9.56% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Nhc Healthcare, Maryland Heights, 4.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term patients that suffered a fall leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Nhc Healthcare, Maryland Heights, 3.44% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indication of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Nhc Healthcare, Maryland Heights, 20.38% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Tragically, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Nhc Healthcare, Maryland Heights, 24.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Nhc Healthcare, Maryland Heights, 4.04% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are showing signs of depression. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Nhc Healthcare, Maryland Heights, 89.97% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Nhc Healthcare, Maryland Heights, 14.55% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Nhc Healthcare, Maryland Heights, 15.54% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care residents that retained mobility levels.
In Nhc Healthcare, Maryland Heights, 1.62 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Nhc Healthcare, Maryland Heights, 15.54 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Nhc Healthcare, Maryland Heights, 11.99 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Nhc Healthcare, Maryland Heights, 72.55% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
- Ssm Health Depaul Hospital St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 1.86 miles away12303 Depaul Drive Bridgeton Missouri 63044Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 344-6000
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.15 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- Ssm Health St Joseph Hospital-St CharlesAcute Care Hospitals 5.23 miles away300 1st Capitol Dr Saint Charles Missouri 63301Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 947-5000
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.28 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- St Lukes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.81 miles away232 S Woods Mill Rd Chesterfield Missouri 63017Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 434-1500
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 8.53 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Barnes-Jewish St Peters HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.83 miles away10 Hospital Dr Saint Peters Missouri 63376Voluntary non-profit - Other(636) 916-9000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.04 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Quality Care Dialysis Centers - Bridgeton1.39 miles away12484 St. Charles Rock Rd Bridgeton Missouri 63044Dialysis Stations: 14 (314) 298-0320
- St. Louis Regional Dialysis Center, Inc.2.01 miles away10951 St. Charles Rock Road Saint Ann Missouri 63074Dialysis Stations: 17 (314) 739-4691
- Fmc - Bridgeton2.27 miles away12380 Natural Bridge Rd Bridgeton Missouri 63044Dialysis Stations: 21 (314) 344-3020
- Saint Louis West Pd Dialysis3.9 miles away9632 Olive Blvd Saint Louis Missouri 63132Dialysis Stations: 2 (314) 994-9311
- Fmc - Creve Coeur4.28 miles away555 N New Ballas #170 Saint Louis Missouri 63141CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (314) 872-9272
- Saint Louis West Dialysis4.32 miles away400 North Lindberg Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (314) 989-0886
- Creve Coeur Dialysis Center4.48 miles away1009 Executive Pkwy #100 Saint Louis Missouri 63141CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (314) 434-4770
- Natural Bridge Dialysis4.89 miles away8980 Natural Bridge Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63121Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 426-2064