Newtown Rehabilitation & Health Care Center is a large facility in Sandy Hook, Connecticut. This facility was awarded an A- overall, which is very good score. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top third of all nursing homes in the nation. This facility was also given phenomenal grades in all of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Newtown Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jan 10, 2019 by Nick Lata
Note: Data for Newtown Rehabilitation & Health Care Center has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Radiation Therapy
One of the reasons this place turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is as good as it gets in this critical category. Inspection scores are based on many datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this area tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its impressive accomplishments in other areas, we gave this nursing home a score of A- for its long-term care score. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. Overall this looks like a solid option for long-term care.
Does this page answer your questions about Newtown Rehabilitation & Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we looked at was short-term care. This nursing home was awarded a very positive short-term care grade, with a grade of B in the category. In forming our short-term care ratings, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The purpose is to formulate a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
The last area we rated is nursing. We gave this nursing home one of our more favorable grades in that category, with a B. While this isn't on par with a few of its other scores, it is nevertheless an excellent grade. Nursing grades are mostly tied to the facility's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
- Griffin HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.15 miles away130 Division St Derby Connecticut 06418Voluntary non-profit - Other(203) 732-7500
- Danbury HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.7 miles away24 Hospital Ave Danbury Connecticut 06810Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 739-7000
- St Vincent's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.82 miles away2800 Main St Bridgeport Connecticut 06606Voluntary non-profit - Church(203) 576-5551
- Bridgeport HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.07 miles away267 Grant Street Bridgeport Connecticut 06610Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 384-3000
- Milford Hospital, IncAcute Care Hospitals 14.95 miles away300 Seaside Avenue Milford Connecticut 06460Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 876-4000
- Waterbury HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.27 miles away64 Robbins St Waterbury Connecticut 06721Proprietary(203) 573-6000
- Yale-New Haven HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.3 miles away20 York St New Haven Connecticut 06504Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 688-4242
- Housatonic Dialysis6.24 miles away164 Mount Pleasant Rd Newtown Connecticut 06470Dialysis Stations: 10 (203) 270-0081
- Danbury Dialysis Center9.55 miles away111 Osborne Street Suite 211 Danbury Connecticut 06810CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (203) 794-1938
- Davita Shelton Dialysis10.03 miles away750 Bridgeport Avenue Shelton Connecticut 06484CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (203) 925-9520
- Hawley Lane - Davita11.51 miles away425 Hawley Ln Stratford Connecticut 06614Dialysis Stations: 25 (203) 375-5438
- Davita Bridgeport Dialysis13.24 miles away900 Madison Avenue Bridgeport Connecticut 06606CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 51 (203) 335-0191
- Davita Black Rock Dialysis13.91 miles away427 Stillson Rd Fairfield Connecticut 06824CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (203) 382-9566
- Fresenius Medical Care of Fairfield14.6 miles away500 Kings Hwy Fairfield Connecticut 06825Dialysis Stations: 18 (203) 583-8875
- Davita Milford Dialysis14.72 miles away470 Bridgeport Avenue Milford Connecticut 06460CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (203) 301-9040