Newton Wellesley Center for Alzheimer's Care is located in Framingham, Massachusetts, a city with 68,423 people. This facility was awarded an A- overall, which is very good grade. This grade is even higher than the city grade of A- in Framingham, which is also an impressive grade. If you look further down this page, you can see this nursing home's category grades, which are also quite good.
Newton Wellesley Center for Alzheimer's Care
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall score, we gave this nursing home an A+ for our inspection category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection scores. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some can be quite insignificant. It does not look like we have deficiency counts for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Among its many high-end grades, this nursing home was given a strong long-term care score. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A in this category. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. After we finished assessing the volume of care provided by nurses, we next considered the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is often a dangerous condition for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a nursing home doesn't take any chances. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Newton Wellesley Center for Alzheimer's Care?
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, this facility also was given favorable short-term care grades in our assessment. Indeed, we awarded it one of our higher scores in that category, with a score of B+. Short-term care grades are meaningful for people looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a wide spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
The fourth category we looked at was nursing, where this nursing home received a grade of B+. This rounded out a very favorable profile. Only a select few nursing homes received a B+ or better in in each area we assessed. In determining our nursing grades, we analyze both staffing levels and the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Newton Wellesley Center for Alzheimer's Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Newton Wellesley Center for Alzheimer's Care, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents which are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an barometer of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Newton Wellesley Center for Alzheimer's Care, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Newton Wellesley Center for Alzheimer's Care, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric could also be skewed for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Newton Wellesley Center for Alzheimer's Care, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for many conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Newton Wellesley Center for Alzheimer's Care, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Newton Wellesley Center for Alzheimer's Care, 1.93% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents showing symptoms of depression. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Newton Wellesley Center for Alzheimer's Care, 91.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Newton Wellesley Center for Alzheimer's Care, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Newton Wellesley Center for Alzheimer's Care, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels. Some experts believe that the ability to move around is vital to residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Newton Wellesley Center for Alzheimer's Care, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Newton Wellesley Center for Alzheimer's Care, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Newton Wellesley Center for Alzheimer's Care, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of nursing home care.
Scores for Framingham, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Framingham, Massachusetts has 5 other nursing homes
- Metrowest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.01 miles away115 Lincoln Street Framingham Massachusetts 01701Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 383-1000
- Marlborough HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.55 miles away157 Union Street Marlborough Massachusetts 01752Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 481-5000
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.32 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - NeedhamAcute Care Hospitals 9.52 miles away148 Chestnut Street Needham Heights Massachusetts 02494Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 453-3002
- Emerson Hospital -Acute Care Hospitals 11.11 miles away133 Old Road to 9 Acre Corner Concord Massachusetts 01742Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 369-1400
- Westwood Pembroke Health SystemsPsychiatric 11.79 miles away45 Clapboardtree Street Westwood Massachusetts 02090Proprietary(617) 762-7764
- Milford Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.83 miles away14 Prospect Street Milford Massachusetts 01757Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 473-1190
- Norwood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.43 miles away800 Washington Street Norwood Massachusetts 02062Proprietary(781) 769-4000
- Fresenius Medical Care Framingham0.89 miles away110 Mt. Wayte Ave. Framingham Massachusetts 01702CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (508) 628-3801
- Fresenius Medical Care of Marlborough8.67 miles away360 Cedar Hill Street Suite 3 Marlborough Massachusetts 01752CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (508) 460-9250
- Wellesley Dialysis9.15 miles away195 Worcester Street Lower Level Wellesley Hills Massachusetts 02481Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 431-1414
- Dci Walden Pond11.41 miles away56 B Winthrop Street Concord Massachusetts 01742Dialysis Stations: 13 (978) 369-1683
- The Dialysis Center at Waltham12.36 miles away135 Beaver Street, Suite 111 Waltham Massachusetts 02452Dialysis Stations: 14 (781) 642-0331
- Fmc Dialysis Services of Blackstone Valley12.99 miles away42 Cape Road Milford Massachusetts 01757CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 634-4331
- Westwood Dialysis Center (Bma Westwood)13.35 miles away90 Glacier Drive Westwood Massachusetts 02090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 326-9985
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston13.68 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592