Newport Subacute Healthcare Center is located in Costa Mesa, California, a city with 110,851 people. This nursing home was awarded a somewhat concerning overall grade of D, which is a well below average score. If you are not satisfied with this facility's low overall grade, you may find you have slim pickings in Costa Mesa. The city has just two other nursing homes. The only positive thing we can say about this facility is that it did not receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Newport Subacute Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2570 Newport Blvd,
Costa Mesa CA 92627
540.83% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not have many positive things to say about this nursing home's overall score, it earned a respectable inspection report this year. It received a decent score in that area with a B-. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite insignificant. This particular nursing home received 7 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
We also awarded this facility a grade of C for our nursing rating. When calculating our nursing grades, we look at both nursing hours and the skill levels of the nurses. This facility provided just 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place surprisingly excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It performed well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Newport Subacute Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third best category turned out to be short-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a C. In crafting these short-term care grades, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our purpose is to create a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Unfortunately, this facility was below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually quite a bit below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we scored is long-term care, which is a weak link for this nursing home. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D in the area of long-term care. If you are seeking services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care ratings. One of the factors we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccinations. Fortunately, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Newport Subacute Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Newport Subacute Healthcare Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Newport Subacute Healthcare Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who sustained a fall which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Newport Subacute Healthcare Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Newport Subacute Healthcare Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Newport Subacute Healthcare Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Newport Subacute Healthcare Center, 4.64% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Newport Subacute Healthcare Center, 95.44% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Newport Subacute Healthcare Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate the deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Newport Subacute Healthcare Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that maintained mobility. Many believe that the ability to move around is important for residents' health.
In Newport Subacute Healthcare Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is important to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Newport Subacute Healthcare Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
- South Coast Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.41 miles away2701 S Bristol St Santa Ana California 92704Proprietary(714) 754-5454
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.36 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- Memorialcare Orange Coast Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.38 miles away9920 Talbert Avenue Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 378-7406
- Huntington Beach HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away17772 Beach Blvd Huntington Beach California 92647Proprietary(714) 843-5000
- Orange County Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.22 miles away1001 North Tustin Avenue Santa Ana California 92705Proprietary(714) 953-3610
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.84 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.15 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.46 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- Fmc-Newport Mesa Dialysis Services1.33 miles away1175 Baker Street, Suite B Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (714) 641-5808
- Davita-Newport Irvine Dialysis2.69 miles away4300 Von Karman Newport Beach California 92660Dialysis Stations: 17 (949) 863-1382
- Fmc-Newport Superior Dialysis Center2.7 miles away510 Superior Avenue, Suite 150 Newport Beach California 92663CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (949) 574-4733
- Davita-Costa Mesa Dialysis3.04 miles away1590 Scenic Avenue Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 540-9401
- Fmc-Newport Beach Dialysis3.28 miles away3333 W. Coast Highway, Suite 101 Newport Beach California 92663Dialysis Stations: 16 (949) 631-0107
- Fmc-Santa Ana Dialysis3.36 miles away2740 S. Bristol Street, Suite 110 Santa Ana California 92704CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 754-1670
- Davita-Fountain Valley Dialysis3.65 miles away17150 Euclid Street, Suite 111 Fountain Valley California 92708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (714) 966-1595
- Davita-Santa Ana Dialysis Center3.99 miles away1820 E. Deere Avenue Santa Ana California 92705CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (949) 251-1221