Newport Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a small facility located in Newport Beach, California. Featuring an overall grade of B+, this nursing home should work for most prospective patients. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top third of all nursing homes in the nation. This place's strong profile was highlighted by its inspection grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Newport Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Radiation Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Inspection scores are tied to many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this category typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple relatively minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to this facility's list of accomplishments, it also was given a first-rate short-term care score. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. In determining our short-term care ratings, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to devise a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Newport Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B. Our nursing grade focuses on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of training of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with residents. This facility provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of turning a patient more often.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we rated was long-term care. We gave this nursing home an acceptable score in that area, with a grade of B-. While this isn't as favorable as a few of this facility's other scores, it is nevertheless not the end of the world. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We weren't able to locate information about this nursing home's vaccination rates. Lastly, this place excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Newport Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Newport Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Newport Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts would argue this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
- Memorialcare Orange Coast Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.16 miles away9920 Talbert Avenue Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 378-7406
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.86 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- South Coast Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.98 miles away2701 S Bristol St Santa Ana California 92704Proprietary(714) 754-5454
- Huntington Beach HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.18 miles away17772 Beach Blvd Huntington Beach California 92647Proprietary(714) 843-5000
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.92 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- Orange County Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.95 miles away1001 North Tustin Avenue Santa Ana California 92705Proprietary(714) 953-3610
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.44 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.97 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- Fmc-Newport Superior Dialysis Center0.1 miles away510 Superior Avenue, Suite 150 Newport Beach California 92663CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (949) 574-4733
- Fmc-Newport Beach Dialysis1.21 miles away3333 W. Coast Highway, Suite 101 Newport Beach California 92663Dialysis Stations: 16 (949) 631-0107
- Davita-Newport Irvine Dialysis3.26 miles away4300 Von Karman Newport Beach California 92660Dialysis Stations: 17 (949) 863-1382
- Fmc-Newport Mesa Dialysis Services4.03 miles away1175 Baker Street, Suite B Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (714) 641-5808
- Davita-Costa Mesa Dialysis4.72 miles away1590 Scenic Avenue Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 540-9401
- Davita-Fountain Valley Dialysis4.99 miles away17150 Euclid Street, Suite 111 Fountain Valley California 92708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (714) 966-1595
- Fmc-Rai-Newhope-Fountain Valley5.62 miles away17197 Newhope Street, Suite a, B, C & D Fountain Valley California 92708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 241-0196
- Fmc-Rai-Fountain Valley Home5.7 miles away17197 Newhope Street, Suite E Fountain Valley California 92708Dialysis Stations: 3 (714) 435-0281