With an address in Edison, New Jersey, New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo is one of five facilities in the area. It looks like this nursing home is among the top facilities we looked at. This nursing home was given one of the best ratings we offer. In fact, this is actually one of the top three nursing homes in the city. Headlining this facility's remarkable profile is its nursing rating, which you can find in the next section.
New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. The nursing grade weighs numerous datapoints. The most heavily weighted factor is the number of hours nurses spend with residents. This nursing home averages 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Adding to its impressive category grades, this nursing home also excelled in the category of inspections, where it earned an A. Our inspection grades are based on many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's inspections. Nursing homes that excel in this category tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. You really can not do much better than a deficiency-free inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we analyzed was short-term care. Contributing to its superb resume, this nursing home also excelled in this category. In fact, we gave it a of A in that area. In computing our short-term care scores, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our objective is to create a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the fourth area, this nursing home also performed well in our long-term care category. We gave it a grade of B+ in that area. This wrapped up a first-rate profile. When facilities receive this type of score in long-term care it is a good sign for resident care and suggests that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 97.967476 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is too frequently a dangerous illness for nursing home patients so we prefer when a facility doesn't take any chances. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered to be a measure of nursing care . Falls are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with poor nursing care. More frequent bathing minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used for a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 17.42% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who are administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 5.95% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents showing symptoms of depression. Some experts would argue this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 91.97% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 10.68% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 12.9% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients that remained mobile levels. Many in the industry argue that mobility is critical to residents' mental and physical health.
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to preserving the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 12.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 8.37 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Scores for Edison, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of A
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Edison, New Jersey has 4 other nursing homes
- Jfk Medical Ctr - Anthony M. Yelencsics CommunityAcute Care Hospitals 0.9 miles away65 James Street Edison New Jersey 08818Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 321-7000
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 3.64 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 4.64 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Saint Peter's University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.56 miles away254 Easton Ave New Brunswick New Jersey 08901Voluntary non-profit - Church(732) 745-8600
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.67 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.1 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Bayshore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.61 miles away727 N Beers St Holmdel New Jersey 07733Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 739-5900
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.64 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Dva Edison1.61 miles away29 Meridian Road Edison New Jersey 08820CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (732) 205-9883
- Davita Woodbridge Dialysis Center1.83 miles away541 Main Street Woodbridge New Jersey 07095CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 750-0639
- Davita Metuchen Dialysis1.92 miles away319 Lake Avenue Metuchen New Jersey 08840Dialysis Stations: 10 (732) 906-5714
- Ara Garden State Kidney Center2.16 miles away345 Main Street Woodbridge New Jersey 07095Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 855-2100
- Fmc Colonia Dialysis Ctr2.66 miles away1250 Route 27 Colonia New Jersey 07067CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (732) 382-7333
- Fmc Edison2.91 miles away2 Olsen Ave Edison New Jersey 08820Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 549-3286
- Davita Durham Corners4.33 miles away241 Durham Avenue South Plainfield New Jersey 07080CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (908) 222-2971
- Dva Perth Amboy Dialysis Ctr4.67 miles away271 King Street Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (732) 442-3836