With an address in Edison, New Jersey, New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo is one of only two available nursing homes there. This is a well below average nursing home, with an overall grade of D. This place has very little working in its favor. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
132 Evergreen Rd,
Edison NJ 08818
59.26% estimated occupancy 1
Note: New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not have many favorable things to say about this facility's overall grade, it did receive a respectable nursing grade of B-. Our nursing grade features many datapoints. The most heavily weighted one is the quantity of hours nurses spent with residents. This facility provided just 0.5 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this facility performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is generally a reliable indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place.
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a middle of the pack score in the area of short-term care, where it received a B-. In computing our short-term care scores, we look at a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. This score is frequently a reliable assessment of a facility's rehabilitation. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The more important thing is determining what effect this had on quality of care. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was well below average.
Does this page answer your questions about New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's next best category was long-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a B-. In forming our long-term care grades, we analyze the facility's ability to maintain its permanent residents' health and quality of life. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination data. We were optimistic to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 98.36735 percent of its residents against pneumonia. This place keeps its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The final category we looked at was inspections. This facility did not receive positive inspections in recent years. In fact, we had to give it an F here. We would advise paying special attention to any deficiencies on a facility's inspection reports when it receives this poor of an inspection score. We would pay close attention to the level of severity of the deficiencies. Amazingly, this particular nursing didn't have any deficiencies on its inspection report. Clearly, this was not the area dragging down its inspection grade. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 2.79% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 1.44% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Closer supervision limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 17.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term stay residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 6.37% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 89.73% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 10.05% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 10.04% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that maintained mobility. Some believe that mobility is vital to patients mental and physical well-being.
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 1.88 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 10.04 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home Menlo, 9.47 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
- Jfk Medical Ctr - Anthony M. Yelencsics CommunityAcute Care Hospitals 0.9 miles away65 James Street Edison New Jersey 08818Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 321-7000
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 3.64 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 4.64 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Saint Peter's University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.56 miles away254 Easton Ave New Brunswick New Jersey 08901Voluntary non-profit - Church(732) 745-8600
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.67 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.1 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Bayshore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.61 miles away727 N Beers St Holmdel New Jersey 07733Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 739-5900
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.64 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Dva Edison1.61 miles away29 Meridian Road Edison New Jersey 08820CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (732) 205-9883
- Davita Woodbridge Dialysis Center1.83 miles away541 Main Street Woodbridge New Jersey 07095CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 750-0639
- Davita Metuchen Dialysis1.92 miles away319 Lake Avenue Metuchen New Jersey 08840Dialysis Stations: 10 (732) 906-5714
- Ara Garden State Kidney Center2.16 miles away345 Main Street Woodbridge New Jersey 07095Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 855-2100
- Fmc Colonia Dialysis Ctr2.66 miles away1250 Route 27 Colonia New Jersey 07067CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (732) 382-7333
- Fmc Edison2.91 miles away2 Olsen Ave Edison New Jersey 08820Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 549-3286
- Davita Durham Corners4.33 miles away241 Durham Avenue South Plainfield New Jersey 07080CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (908) 222-2971
- Dva Perth Amboy Dialysis Ctr4.67 miles away271 King Street Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (732) 442-3836