New Gouverneur Hospital S N F is just one of 16 possibilities in New York, New York. With an A- overall grade, we rated this facility in the top quarter of all nursing homes in the country. We can't find many bad things to say about this facility. Its scores are just impeccable. This nursing home's strong profile was highlighted by its inspection grade, which we will address in the next section.
New Gouverneur Hospital S N F
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
227 Madison Street,
New York NY 10002
91.42% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - City
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a strong overall score, this nursing home also earned an A+ inspection rating. This is based on the facility's recent government inspections. An A+ in this area is one of the best complements we can offer a nursing home. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This first-rate facility also performed remarkably in the area of short-term care, where we gave it a grade of A+. Few facilities performed better in this category. Our short-term care scores are based on the facility's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a wide scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about New Gouverneur Hospital S N F?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B+. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Our nursing category includes a handful of factors, many of which are tied to nursing hours. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we scored ended up being this facility's worst area. Nevertheless, even in its worst category we still awarded it an acceptable grade of B- for long-term care. With our long-term care category, we assess the quantity of care offered by a nursing home, as well as a handful of quality statistics. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses, we next considered the facility's vaccination data. We were pleased to learn that this nursing home vaccinated 96.81319 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
New Gouverneur Hospital S N F Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In New Gouverneur Hospital S N F, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In New Gouverneur Hospital S N F, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are often linked to lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In New Gouverneur Hospital S N F, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indicator of poor nursing care. However, this statistic could also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In New Gouverneur Hospital S N F, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In New Gouverneur Hospital S N F, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In New Gouverneur Hospital S N F, 13.2% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some experts argue that this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In New Gouverneur Hospital S N F, 91.26% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In New Gouverneur Hospital S N F, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and continence. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In New Gouverneur Hospital S N F, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In New Gouverneur Hospital S N F, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In New Gouverneur Hospital S N F, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In New Gouverneur Hospital S N F, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In New Gouverneur Hospital S N F, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for New York, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? New York, New York has 15 other nursing homes
- Mount Sinai Beth IsraelAcute Care Hospitals 1.42 miles awayFirst Avenue at 16th Street New York New York 10003Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 420-2000
- Brooklyn Hospital Center - Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 1.69 miles away121 Dekalb Avenue Brooklyn New York 11201Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 250-8000
- Bellevue Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2 miles away462 First Avenue New York New York 10016Government - Local(212) 562-4141
- Nyu Langone HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 2.17 miles away550 First Avenue New York New York 10016Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 263-7300
- Woodhull Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.52 miles away760 Broadway Brooklyn New York 11206Government - Local(718) 963-8100
- Carepoint Health-Hoboken University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.07 miles away308 Willow Ave Hoboken New Jersey 07030Voluntary non-profit - Church(201) 418-1000
- New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.14 miles away506 Sixth Street Brooklyn New York 11215Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 780-3000
- Jersey City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.24 miles away355 Grand Street Jersey City New Jersey 07302Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 915-2000
- Chinatown Dialysis Center Inc0.71 miles away213 Hester St. 2nd Floor New York New York 10013CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 45 (212) 925-0404
- Avantus Irving Place Dialysis Center1.36 miles awayIrving Place Dialysis 120 East 16th Street 6th Floor New York New York 10003CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (646) 602-6950
- Lower Manhattan Dialysis Center Ii1.57 miles away187 3rd Ave New York New York 10003CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (212) 388-0095
- Brooklyn Hospital Center1.64 miles away121 Dekalb Avenue Dialysis Unit-2w Brooklyn New York 11201Dialysis Stations: 10 (718) 250-8160
- Brooklyn Hospital Center Ii1.7 miles away19 Rockwell Pl Dialysis Unit Brooklyn New York 11217CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 260-2722
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.1.72 miles away510-526 Avenue of the Americas Sub Cellar New York New York 10011CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (212) 675-6880
- Davita Greenpoint Dialysis2.28 miles away146 Meserole Street Brooklyn New York 11206Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 388-6039
- Lower Manhattan Dialysis Center2.33 miles away323 E 34th St New York New York 10016CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (212) 889-1082