New Brighton Care Center is a small facility in Saint Paul, Minnesota. This facility appears to be among the higher-rated facilities we looked at. A grade of this caliber requires high-end marks across the board. In spite of Saint Paul having 31 nursing homes to select from, this one managed to stand out as a superb choice. This place's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection score, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
New Brighton Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its first-rate achievements in other areas, we gave this nursing home a score of A- for its short-term care score. Our short-term care grades are believed to be most important for folks in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually requires more skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not only nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 4.8 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about New Brighton Care Center?
This nursing home also received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. When determining our nursing scores, we factor in both staffing levels and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as having a system of moving a patient even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
In the final category, we gave this facility a grade of A for its long-term care score. This wrapped up a very favorable profile. In a long-term care setting, the primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 87.5 percent of its patients, which is slightly below what we expected. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
New Brighton Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In New Brighton Care Center, 6.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In New Brighton Care Center, 4.21% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who have had a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In New Brighton Care Center, 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In New Brighton Care Center, 16.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In New Brighton Care Center, 12.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In New Brighton Care Center, 4.58% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression could indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In New Brighton Care Center, 93.31% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In New Brighton Care Center, 13.09% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In New Brighton Care Center, 18.07% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In New Brighton Care Center, 18.07 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In New Brighton Care Center, 12.51 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In New Brighton Care Center, 76.76% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's usually correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Saint Paul, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Paul, Minnesota has 30 other nursing homes
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 7.03 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 7.05 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 7.08 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 8.11 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Healtheast St John's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.21 miles away1575 Beam Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 232-7000
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.38 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Regions HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.86 miles away640 Jackson Street Saint Paul Minnesota 55101Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 254-1616
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.38 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- Arden Hills Dialysis of Davita2.12 miles away3900 Northwoods Dr Ste 110 Saint Paul Minnesota 55112Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 483-3159
- Fmc Dialysis - New Brighton2.47 miles away2910 Centre Pointe Dr Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 633-1155
- East River Road Dialysis4.1 miles away5301 E River Rd Ne Suite 117 Minneapolis Minnesota 55421Dialysis Stations: 12 (763) 571-5556
- Davita - Larpenteur Ave Dialysis5.46 miles away1739 Lexington Ave N Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 489-9260
- Minneapolis Ne Dialysis of Davita5.47 miles away1049 10th Ave Se Minneapolis Minnesota 55414Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 331-6088
- Fmc Dialysis - Roseville5.96 miles away2045 Rice St Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 489-3312
- Riverside Dialysis of Davita6.33 miles away1045 Westgate Drive Suite 90 Saint Paul Minnesota 55114Dialysis Stations: 20 (651) 645-1847
- Fmc Dialysis - North Suburban6.39 miles away9144 Springbrook Dr Nw Minneapolis Minnesota 55433CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (763) 783-0103