New Brighton Care Center is a small facility in Saint Paul, Minnesota. This facility is among the highest-rated facilities we found. This facility received one of the best ratings that we offer. Despite Saint Paul having 31 nursing homes available, this one managed to stand out as a quality option. Headlining this nursing home's stellar report card is its inspection rating, which we will address in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
New Brighton Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Saint Paul senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with a great overall grade, we awarded this nursing home an A for our inspections rating. Inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area typically have very few of these severe deficiencies. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. Our nursing score is primarily based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as having a system of moving residents more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about New Brighton Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next category, we awarded this facility a grade of A for its long-term care grade. This is a very impressive rating. For long-term care residents, the primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 91.47287 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is slightly less than we expected but still a respectable figure. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we scored is short-term care, where this nursing home was given a grade of A-. This completed a very strong profile. Few facilities received an A- or better in in each area we assessed. Short-term care scores are critical for prospective residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a broad range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last measure we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 4.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
New Brighton Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In New Brighton Care Center, 10.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In New Brighton Care Center, 2.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term residents which have suffered a fall which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In New Brighton Care Center, 0.78% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients that had a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In New Brighton Care Center, 17.32% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for treating a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In New Brighton Care Center, 8.4% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly used to treat residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In New Brighton Care Center, 5.88% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some experts argue this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In New Brighton Care Center, 95.74% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In New Brighton Care Center, 20% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Many would argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In New Brighton Care Center, 20.79% of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In New Brighton Care Center, 20.79% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In New Brighton Care Center, 19.96% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In New Brighton Care Center, 65.21% of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Saint Paul, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Paul, Minnesota has 30 other nursing homes
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 7.03 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 7.05 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 7.08 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 8.11 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Healtheast St John's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.21 miles away1575 Beam Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 232-7000
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.38 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Regions HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.86 miles away640 Jackson Street Saint Paul Minnesota 55101Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 254-1616
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.38 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- Arden Hills Dialysis of Davita2.12 miles away3900 Northwoods Dr Ste 110 Saint Paul Minnesota 55112Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 483-3159
- Fmc Dialysis - New Brighton2.47 miles away2910 Centre Pointe Dr Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 633-1155
- East River Road Dialysis4.1 miles away5301 E River Rd Ne Suite 117 Minneapolis Minnesota 55421Dialysis Stations: 12 (763) 571-5556
- Davita - Larpenteur Ave Dialysis5.46 miles away1739 Lexington Ave N Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 489-9260
- Minneapolis Ne Dialysis of Davita5.47 miles away1049 10th Ave Se Minneapolis Minnesota 55414Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 331-6088
- Fmc Dialysis - Roseville5.96 miles away2045 Rice St Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 489-3312
- Riverside Dialysis of Davita6.33 miles away1045 Westgate Drive Suite 90 Saint Paul Minnesota 55114Dialysis Stations: 20 (651) 645-1847
- Fmc Dialysis - North Suburban6.39 miles away9144 Springbrook Dr Nw Minneapolis Minnesota 55433CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (763) 783-0103