Neville Center at Fresh Pond for Nursing & Rehab is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Cambridge, Massachusetts. This proved to be a grade A facility, which is a superb grade. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top fifth of all facilities in the nation. Headlining this facility's remarkable profile is its inspection grade, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Neville Center at Fresh Pond for Nursing & Rehab
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Radiation Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a strong facility overall, it also received A+ government inspections in recent years. Its inspections are virtually perfect. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection scores. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are relatively insignificant. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was strong in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a grade of A. Few facilities performed better in this category. In the category of short-term care, we seek to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final item we assessed in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Neville Center at Fresh Pond for Nursing & Rehab?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. There are a host of subcategories included in this category. Many of the factors reflect levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as having a policy of moving residents even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
In the last category we rated, this facility was awarded a very strong grade of A- in our long-term care category. With this grade, the nursing home topped off a straight A report card. Facilities that do well in long-term care typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. Once we finished looking at the amount of nursing care, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 95.23809 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia tragically can be a life or death condition for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a facility does not take any chances. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Neville Center at Fresh Pond for Nursing & Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Neville Center at Fresh Pond for Nursing & Rehab, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Neville Center at Fresh Pond for Nursing & Rehab, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are often caused by poor nursing care. Closer supervision can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Neville Center at Fresh Pond for Nursing & Rehab, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Neville Center at Fresh Pond for Nursing & Rehab, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Neville Center at Fresh Pond for Nursing & Rehab, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term care residents who are given antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Neville Center at Fresh Pond for Nursing & Rehab, 1.95% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients demonstrating signs of depression. Increased levels of depression could be a sign a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Neville Center at Fresh Pond for Nursing & Rehab, 91.63% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Neville Center at Fresh Pond for Nursing & Rehab, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Neville Center at Fresh Pond for Nursing & Rehab, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Neville Center at Fresh Pond for Nursing & Rehab, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Neville Center at Fresh Pond for Nursing & Rehab, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Neville Center at Fresh Pond for Nursing & Rehab, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Neville Center at Fresh Pond for Nursing & Rehab, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements.
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.22 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 2.41 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.79 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 4.2 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.23 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 4.28 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Massachusetts General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.37 miles away55 Fruit Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 726-2000
- Davita Northeast Cambridge Dialysis0.47 miles away799 Concord Avenue Cambridge Massachusetts 02138CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (617) 547-7700
- Dci Ball Square2.03 miles away643 Broadway Somerville Massachusetts 02145CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (617) 616-3600
- Medford Dialysis Center (Bma Medford)2.68 miles away305 Mystic Avenue Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (781) 396-9282
- Davita Wellington Circle Dialysis Center2.94 miles away10 Cabot Road Suite 103b Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 306-9740
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston3.13 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592
- Kidney Center3.21 miles away888 Commonwealth Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 739-3000
- The Dialysis Center at Waltham3.28 miles away135 Beaver Street, Suite 111 Waltham Massachusetts 02452Dialysis Stations: 14 (781) 642-0331
- Davita Brookline Dialysis4.15 miles away322 Washington Street Brookline Massachusetts 02445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (617) 734-7794