Nazareth Living Center is a large non-profit facility in Saint Louis, Missouri. With an overall grade of D, this is a subpar facility. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 23 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. If you aren't deterred by this facility's report card, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category scores. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Nazareth Living Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
#2 Nazareth Lane,
Saint Louis MO 63129
77.68% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Top Nursing Home in Missouri Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
While we didn't give this place a good overall score, we did give it a relatively strong grade in the category of inspections, where it received a B. Inspection ratings are tied to many datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. Most importantly, you should avoid facilities with severe deficiencies linked to endangerment of patients. This nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that the government inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
We also ended up giving this facility a fairly respectable grade in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of C. Nursing scores are mostly based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures. While this nursing home got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of these quality-based measures. With less than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed well in this area. This can be an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of moving patients at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Nazareth Living Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility's third best category is short-term care. Nevertheless, with a D in this category, it still performed relatively poorly. Our short-term care grades are probably most critical for those in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not just nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Considering its weak grade in this area, we weren't shocked to find this place offers substantially fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This was not a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 4.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, around half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's worst area is long-term care, which is the final category we scored. For this area, we awarded this facility a grade of just D. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids, as well as the levels of routine medical care available. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination records. We were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated just 76.86567 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Nazareth Living Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Nazareth Living Center, 9.2% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients which suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Nazareth Living Center, 3.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term residents who have experienced falls leading to severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Nazareth Living Center, 3.29% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Nazareth Living Center, 20.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Nazareth Living Center, 24.45% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Nazareth Living Center, 5.4% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Nazareth Living Center, 86.07% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Nazareth Living Center, 15.8% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Nazareth Living Center, 13.34% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Nazareth Living Center, 1.86 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Nazareth Living Center, 13.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Nazareth Living Center, 13.27 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Nazareth Living Center, 71.67% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 22 other nursing homes
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 3.33 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.24 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Ssm Health St Clare Hospital - FentonAcute Care Hospitals 8.64 miles away1015 Bowles Fenton Missouri 63026Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 496-2000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.36 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 9.97 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.21 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.99 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 12.89 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- South County Dialysis Center1.38 miles away4145 Union Road Saint Louis Missouri 63129Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 894-1851
- Home Dialysis South1.99 miles away5201 Mid America Plaza Suite 2200 Saint Louis Missouri 63129Dialysis Stations: 2 (314) 286-0770
- South Towne Square Dialysis Clinic2.06 miles away11107 South Towne Square Saint Louis Missouri 63123CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (314) 894-3400
- Rtc-Lamplighter Dialysis3.24 miles away12654 Lamplighter Square Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 729-7979
- Fmc - Tesson Ferry Dialysis3.29 miles away13134 Tesson Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 843-7390
- Fmc - Arnold4.65 miles away2194 Michigan Ave Arnold Missouri 63010Dialysis Stations: 12 (636) 287-1160
- Crestwood Dialysis5.63 miles away9560 Watson Road Suite A Saint Louis Missouri 63126Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 842-0322
- Arnold Dialysis6.3 miles away102 Richardson Xing Arnold Missouri 63010Dialysis Stations: 8 (636) 467-5619