Nassau Rehabilitation & Nursing Center is in Hempstead, New York. The city has a population of 59,357 people. With an overall rating of C, this is likely a middle of the pack nursing home. Based on our assessment, this place likely wouldn't be a bad choice. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's profile is its stellar inspection grade, which is addressed in the next section.
Nassau Rehabilitation & Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this facility really outperformed its overall grade in the category of inspections. In fact, it received an excellent inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our best grades in this category with a grade of A+. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this place had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we awarded this facility a B+ in our long-term care category. This happens to be one of our higher scores. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. One of the statistics we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 87.850464 percent of its residents. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Nassau Rehabilitation & Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility received an F for its short-term care grade. In determining our short-term care grades, we scrutinize a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This rating is frequently a useful assessment of the nursing home's rehabilitation services. With a grade in this range for this category, we weren't stunned to find that this facility was below average in several staffing metrics we assess. It supplied substantially fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This definitely was not a strength for this facility. We found that just 4.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, about half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
This facility's least impressive area is nursing, which is the final category we assessed. It received a lowly F in this category. Despite several acceptable scores in other areas, this grade is still concerning so we wanted to make a note of it. Our nursing rating focuses on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We look at both the levels of training of those nurses and the quantity of hours spent with residents. This facility averaged just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these metrics to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Nassau Rehabilitation & Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Nassau Rehabilitation & Nursing Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Nassau Rehabilitation & Nursing Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term patients that have sustained falls resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Nassau Rehabilitation & Nursing Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who sustained a UTI. While more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Nassau Rehabilitation & Nursing Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Nassau Rehabilitation & Nursing Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Nassau Rehabilitation & Nursing Center, 13.2% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Nassau Rehabilitation & Nursing Center, 91.26% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Nassau Rehabilitation & Nursing Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Nassau Rehabilitation & Nursing Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care residents that retained mobility levels. Some believe that mobility is critical to patients mental and physical health.
In Nassau Rehabilitation & Nursing Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Nassau Rehabilitation & Nursing Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Nassau Rehabilitation & Nursing Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Nassau Rehabilitation & Nursing Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's often correlates with better rehabilitation.
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.27 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.29 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.62 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 6.73 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.15 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.3 miles away4295 Hempstead Turnpike Bethpage New York 11714Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 579-6000
- St Francis Hospital, RoslynAcute Care Hospitals 7.88 miles away100 Port Washington Boulevard Roslyn New York 11576Voluntary non-profit - Church(516) 562-6000
- Plainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.88 miles away888 Old Country Road Plainview New York 11803Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 719-3000
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Hempstead0.81 miles away615 Peninsula Boulevard Hempstead New York 11550CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (516) 483-6702
- Nassau University Medical Center1.11 miles awayA. Holly Paterson Extended Care Facility 875 Jerusalem Avenue Uniondale New York 11553CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (516) 572-1800
- Davita Garden City Dialysis Center2.79 miles away1100 Stewart Avenue Suite 2 Garden City New York 11530CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (516) 357-0004
- Nyu Langone Hospitals3.06 miles away200 Old Country Road The Dialysis Center Mineola New York 11501CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (516) 663-9012
- Main Street Dialysis Center, LLC3.28 miles away3 North Main Street Freeport New York 11520Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 771-7112
- S. Nassau Communities Hosp.3.45 miles away1 Healthy Way Dialysis - Acute Unit Oceanside New York 11572Dialysis Stations: 3 (516) 632-3944
- Davita Freeport Kidney Center4.09 miles away351 South Main Street Freeport New York 11520CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (516) 623-1786
- True North Dialysis Center, LLC4.13 miles away1 Cisney Ave Floral Park New York 11001Dialysis Stations: 1 (516) 327-9502