New Jersey Veterans Home at Paramus is a very-large government-owned facility in Paramus, New Jersey. This proved to be a grade A facility, which is a very elite rating. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top 20 percent of all facilities in the country. Scroll down to see this place's category scores, which are equally impressive. You really can't do any better than a straight A profile.
New Jersey Veterans Home at Paramus
- Nursing Home
- For people with disabilities
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - State
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility excelled in our nursing rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. The nursing grade assesses quite a few datapoints, however, the main consideration is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of turning a resident more often.
In addition, this nursing home also received a nearly flawless inspection report. As a result, it earned one of our highest grades in that area with a score of A-. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple relatively minor deficiencies are not something to panic about.
Does this page answer your questions about New Jersey Veterans Home at Paramus?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded a very impressive short-term care grade. In fact, this ended up being this facility's third best category score. In that category, this facility received a grade of A-. Short-term care grades are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a broad range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last statistic we assessed in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our next area, this nursing home was given a high-end long-term care rating. In fact, we gave it an A- in this category, resulting in this facility receiving straight A's. When facilities receive this type of grade in long-term care it is typically a good sign for resident care and suggests that the facility is well-staffed with nurses and aids. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 99.5935 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is far higher than the average nursing home. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
New Jersey Veterans Home at Paramus Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In New Jersey Veterans Home at Paramus, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term residents that are suffering from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In New Jersey Veterans Home at Paramus, 2.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term patients which had a fall leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In New Jersey Veterans Home at Paramus, 1.73% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In New Jersey Veterans Home at Paramus, 10.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. However, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In New Jersey Veterans Home at Paramus, 17.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In New Jersey Veterans Home at Paramus, 5.81% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In New Jersey Veterans Home at Paramus, 92% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In New Jersey Veterans Home at Paramus, 10.99% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In New Jersey Veterans Home at Paramus, 14.79% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility. Some experts believe that the ability to move around is critical to residents' mental and physical well-being.
In New Jersey Veterans Home at Paramus, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In New Jersey Veterans Home at Paramus, 14.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In New Jersey Veterans Home at Paramus, 8.17 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Scores for Paramus, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Paramus, New Jersey has 3 other nursing homes
- Bergen New Bridge Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.06 miles away230 East Ridgewood Ave Paramus New Jersey 07652Government - Local(201) 967-4000
- Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.62 miles away223 N Van Dien Avenue Ridgewood New Jersey 07450Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 447-8000
- Hackensack Meridian Health Pascack Valley MedicalAcute Care Hospitals 3.01 miles away250 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Proprietary(201) 383-1035
- Hackensack University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.27 miles away30 Prospect Ave Hackensack New Jersey 07601Voluntary non-profit - Private(551) 996-2000
- Holy Name Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6 miles away718 Teaneck Rd Teaneck New Jersey 07666Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 833-3000
- Englewood Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.19 miles away350 Engle St Englewood New Jersey 07631Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 894-3000
- St Joseph's University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.79 miles away703 Main St Paterson New Jersey 07503Voluntary non-profit - Church(973) 754-2010
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.14 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- Fresenius Medical Care Paramus2.07 miles away37 West Century Road Suite 108 Paramus New Jersey 07652CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 262-0429
- Davita Renal Center of Westwood3.15 miles away363 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Dialysis Stations: 18 (201) 664-6649
- Davita Radburn Dialysis3.53 miles away15-00 Pollitt Drive Fair Lawn New Jersey 07410CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (201) 796-1385
- Davita Fairlawn Dialysis3.57 miles away18-01 Pollitt Drive Fair Lawn New Jersey 07410CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (201) 796-3873
- Fresenius Medical Care Hackensack4.19 miles away458 Passaic Street Hackensack New Jersey 07601Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 342-0801
- Davita Hackensack4.74 miles away113 West Essex Street Maywood New Jersey 07607CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (201) 843-3875
- Fmc Bergen Rcc5.04 miles away647 Cedar Lane Teaneck New Jersey 07666CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (201) 692-1113
- Davita East Paterson5.22 miles away680 Broadway Ste 103 Paterson New Jersey 07514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 357-8079