Myers Nursing & Convalescent Center is an average-sized nursing home in Kansas City, Missouri. This facility received an F, which is definitely concerning in our grading scheme. We ranked this as one of the bottom five rated facilities in Kansas City. In a city with countless other nursing homes, you should be able to find a better option. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Myers Nursing & Convalescent Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
2315 Walrond Avenue,
Kansas City MO 64127
76.19% estimated occupancy 1
- Occupational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a poor overall grade, we also awarded this facility terrible grades in the various categories. In fact, it only received a D for its inspections grade, which was its top area. One of the more critical factors in evaluating inspection reports is deficiencies. We recommend you pay close attention to the level of severity of those deficiencies. This facility was hit with 5 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they created a threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility also received 6 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home's second highest category was long-term care. However, with a D in this area, it still fared somewhat badly. If you are looking for services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care grades. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 94.69026 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Does this page answer your questions about Myers Nursing & Convalescent Center?
We also wanted to point out that this nursing home received an F for its nursing grade. Our nursing score assesses the facility's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of training of the nurses and the amount of time spent with residents. This place offered just 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is an alarmingly low total. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This nursing home fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we scored was short-term care. We gave it an F for this category, which is a bottom of the barrel score. Our short-term care grade is commonly employed to measure a nursing home's rehabilitation services. In order to have highly graded rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. With its score in this category, we were not surprised to discover that this nursing home is well below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. Finally, we considered the number of residents who returned home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Myers Nursing & Convalescent Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Myers Nursing & Convalescent Center, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Myers Nursing & Convalescent Center, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Myers Nursing & Convalescent Center, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who experienced a UTI. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Myers Nursing & Convalescent Center, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for several medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Myers Nursing & Convalescent Center, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Myers Nursing & Convalescent Center, 4.19% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients showing depressive symptoms. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Myers Nursing & Convalescent Center, 88.53% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Myers Nursing & Convalescent Center, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Myers Nursing & Convalescent Center, 14.68% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Myers Nursing & Convalescent Center, 1.7 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Myers Nursing & Convalescent Center, 14.68 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Kansas City, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Kansas City, Missouri has 28 other nursing homes
- Truman Medical Center Hospital HillAcute Care Hospitals 1.62 miles away2301 Holmes Street Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 404-1000
- Childrens Mercy HospitalChildrens 1.77 miles away2401 Gillham Road Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 234-3000
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 3.55 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- University of Kansas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.9 miles away4000 Cambridge Street Kansas City Kansas 66160Government - Hospital District or Authority(913) 588-7332
- North Kansas City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.62 miles away2800 Clay Edwards Drive Kansas City Missouri 64116Government - Local(816) 691-2000
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.35 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 9.99 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.82 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- Home Dialysis Services Kc Midtown LLC1.7 miles away1728 Holmes St Kansas City Missouri 64108Dialysis Stations: 6 (816) 381-6167
- Childrens Mercy Hospital Dialysis1.77 miles away2401 Gillham Rd Kansas City Missouri 64108Dialysis Stations: 10 (816) 234-3100
- Penn Valley Dialysis Center2.63 miles away2502 Summit Kansas City Missouri 64108Dialysis Stations: 20 (816) 531-1118
- Davita - Westport Renal Center3.13 miles away3947 Broadway Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64111CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 531-1181
- Swope Dialysis3.54 miles away4407 East 50th Terrace Kansas City Missouri 64130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (816) 924-1201
- Davita Mission Dialysis3.84 miles away2852 W 47th Ave Kansas City Kansas 66103Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 403-1843
- Hospital Hill Dialysis4.35 miles away900 E 21st Street Kansas City Missouri 64108CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (816) 842-9286
- Rai - Rainbow Blvd - Westwood4.58 miles away4720 Rainbow Blvd Suite 200 Mission Kansas 66205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (913) 403-0441