Munster Med-Inn is a very-large nursing home located in Munster, Indiana. We gave this facility an overall score of F. This facility is really as bad as it gets. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next section.
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
7935 Calumet Ave,
Munster IN 46321
78.62% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next most favorable score is long-term care, but it nevertheless earned just a D in that area. This turns out to be a relatively poor grade. Facilities that don't score well in this category often do not provide as much nursing care and also may be struggling in some of the areas of routine healthcare services we assessed. One of the statistics we considered after nursing hours was vaccinations. We were a bit worried that this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to only 67.22689 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This was its best score in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Munster Med-Inn?
We also wanted to draw your attention to this facility's poor nursing grade where it received an F. We assessed the levels of nurses at the nursing home, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses worked with patients, in computing our grade in this area. This nursing home provided a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the next area, this nursing home did not perform very well here either. Due to a rock bottom grade of F in short-term care, this is really as bad as it gets. Our short-term care grades are thought to be most important for people requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates additional highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes not just nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Not surprisingly, we discovered that this nursing home offers substantially less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than a typical facility. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This definitely wasn't a strength for this facility. We found that just 4.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, around half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Munster Med-Inn Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Munster Med-Inn, 7.36% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term residents who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Munster Med-Inn, 4.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who had falls which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Munster Med-Inn, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Munster Med-Inn, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These medications may be used to treat several medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Munster Med-Inn, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients that are prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Munster Med-Inn, 14.48% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Munster Med-Inn, 91.03% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Munster Med-Inn, 15.46% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Munster Med-Inn, 12.91% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Munster Med-Inn, 1.53 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Munster Med-Inn, 12.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Munster Med-Inn, 12.43 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Munster Med-Inn, 73.74% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.34 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 2.2 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 3.23 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- Franciscan Health DyerAcute Care Hospitals 5.22 miles away24 Joliet St Dyer Indiana 46311Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 865-2141
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 5.5 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- Methodist Hospitals IncAcute Care Hospitals 8.13 miles away600 Grant St Gary Indiana 46402Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 886-4000
- Ingalls Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.17 miles away1 Ingalls Drive Harvey Illinois 60426Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 333-2300
- Advocate South Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.57 miles away17800 S Kedzie Ave Hazel Crest Illinois 60429Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 799-8000
- Fmc - Neomedica - Munster0.68 miles away314 Ridge Road Munster Indiana 46321Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 836-9317
- Fmc - Liberty Dialysis - Hammond0.93 miles away7214 Calumet Avenue Hammond Indiana 46324CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 228-4477
- Davita - Munster1.33 miles away9100 Calumet Ave. Munster Indiana 46321CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 836-1299
- Munster Dialysis Center2.74 miles away10120 Calumet Avenue, Suite 102 Munster Indiana 46321Dialysis Stations: 20 (219) 924-3972
- Fmc - Neomedica - South Holland3.2 miles away17225 S Paxton Ave South Holland Illinois 60473CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (708) 474-8700
- Davita - Hammond Dialysis3.24 miles away222 Douglas Street Hammond Indiana 46320CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (219) 932-1199
- Fmc - North Hammond3.3 miles away5454 Hohman Avenue Dialysis Unit on Campus Hammond Indiana 46320CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 933-2089
- Hammond Dialysis Center3.68 miles away7 Sibley Street Hammond Indiana 46320Dialysis Stations: 29 (219) 937-2819