The Ridge Post Acute is a small nursing home in San Jose, California. This is a very respectable nursing home. We gave it an overall grade of B, which is a respectable score. Even in a city offering 19 nursing homes, this facility ought to be a quality choice. Fortunately, this facility did not have any bad scores in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
The Ridge Post Acute
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a strong facility overall, this facility also excelled in our inspections category, where it earned an A-. Not many nursing homes fared better in that area. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this category most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor dings are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
An additional quality feature for this nursing home is that it was awarded an above average long-term care grade. In fact, this wound up being its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a B+. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 99.21875 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about The Ridge Post Acute?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. Nursing grades are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we scored is short-term care. For that category, we awarded this facility a grade of B-. With our short-term care grade, we endeavor to create a meaningful measure for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we analyze the facility's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. It does not appear that this nursing home provided information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Ridge Post Acute Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Ridge Post Acute, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Ridge Post Acute, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls resulting in injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Ridge Post Acute, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Ridge Post Acute, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Ridge Post Acute, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Ridge Post Acute, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Ridge Post Acute, 95.44% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Ridge Post Acute, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Ridge Post Acute, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Ridge Post Acute, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Ridge Post Acute, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Ridge Post Acute, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some believe that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for San Jose, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Jose, California has 18 other nursing homes
- Regional Medical Center of San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 2.35 miles away225 N Jackson Avenue San Jose California 95116Government - Federal(408) 259-5000
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.37 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Santa Clara Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.4 miles away751 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128Government - Local(408) 885-5000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 8.17 miles away250 Hospital Parkway San Jose California 95119Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 972-7000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 10.39 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.48 miles away2425 Samaritan Drive San Jose California 95124Proprietary(408) 559-2011
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 10.64 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.85 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Davita Eastridge Dialysis1.28 miles away3501 E Capitol Expressway San Jose California 95122Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 239-0466
- Satellite Dialysis White Road1.4 miles away1450 S White Road #30 San Jose California 95127CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 272-9810
- Satellite Dialysis San Jose2.26 miles away2121 Alexian Drive San Jose California 95116CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 56 (408) 258-8720
- Aborn Dialysis Center2.91 miles away3162 S White Road San Jose California 95148CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (408) 223-0620
- Satellite Healthcare Evergreen2.93 miles away3251 South White Road, Suite 10 San Jose California 95148Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 766-6500
- Tully Dialysis Center3.21 miles away1290 Tully Rd Suite 80 San Jose California 95122CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (408) 993-8959
- Satellite Dialysis Silver Creek3.53 miles away1620 East Capitol Expressway San Jose California 95121CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (408) 754-3400
- Davita Silicon Valley Dialysis5.54 miles away725 Ridder Park., Ste 10 San Jose California 95131CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (408) 392-0390