Mount Vernon Healthcare Center is in the large metropolitan area of Alexandria, Virginia. This facility was awarded an overall grade of C, which is a solid score. As far as we can see, this place looks like a solid choice for quite a few people. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category is short-term care, which is discussed in the next section.
Mount Vernon Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
It should also be noted that this nursing home' short-term care grade outpaced its overall grade. In fact, we gave it a B+ for short-term care, which is one of our better scores. This propped up its overall score. Our short-term care scores are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a broad range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
In addition, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of B+. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection ratings. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Based on this, we still had a generally favorable view of this facility's inspections.
Does this page answer your questions about Mount Vernon Healthcare Center?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. Our nursing score analyzes many factors, but the main one is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. It performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the quantity of hours of care offered.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our fourth category, this nursing home didn't fare well. With a rock bottom grade of F in long-term care, this is this facility's worst category grade. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in long-term care may not provide the type of consistent around the clock care that some other nursing homes provide. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We were a bit alarmed this facility provided the vaccine to just 69.82456 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mount Vernon Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 8.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care patients who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 3.64% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that have experienced falls which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 2.55% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who sustained urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 13.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 20.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 3.63% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents exhibiting signs of depression. Many argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 91.12% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 16.48% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 21.22% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 1.29 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 21.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 11.62 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 75.54% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Alexandria, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Alexandria, Virginia has 5 other nursing homes
- Inova Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.33 miles away2501 Parkers Lane Alexandria Virginia 22306Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 664-7000
- Fort Belvoir Community HospitalAcute Care - Department of Defense 4.08 miles away9300 Dewitt Loop Fort Belvoir Virginia 22060Department of Defense(571) 231-3224
- Fort Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.66 miles away11711 Livingston Road Fort Washington Maryland 20744Voluntary non-profit - Other(301) 292-7000
- Inova Alexandria HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.24 miles away4320 Seminary Rd Alexandria Virginia 22304Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 504-3167
- United Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.53 miles away1310 Southern Avenue Se Washington District of Columbia 20032Proprietary(202) 574-6611
- Virginia Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.91 miles away1701 North George Mason Drive Arlington Virginia 22205Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 558-5000
- Medstar Southern Maryland Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.94 miles away7503 Surratts Road Clinton Maryland 20735Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 868-8000
- Inova Fairfax HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.44 miles away3300 Gallows Road Falls Church Virginia 22042Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 776-4001
- Somatus Dialysis of Mount Vernon0.3 miles away2501 Parkers Lane Suite 100 Alexandria Virginia 22306Dialysis Stations: 12 (703) 721-8075
- Fmc - Fort Belvoir1.83 miles away8796 P Sacramento Dr Alexandria Virginia 22309CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (703) 360-4552
- Franconia Dialysis Center3.17 miles away5695 King Center Dr Ste 105 Alexandria Virginia 22315CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (703) 921-9506
- Friendly Farms Home Dialysis3.31 miles away10905 Fort Washington Road Fort Washington Maryland 20744Dialysis Stations: 5 (301) 292-0540
- Fmc - Fort Foote4.66 miles away8507 Oxon Hill Rd Suite 100 Fort Washington Maryland 20744Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 686-0802
- Us Renal Care Fort Washington Dialysis4.79 miles away10707 Indian Head Highway Fort Washington Maryland 20744Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 292-3610
- Bma - Fort Washington5.12 miles away12780 Old Fort Rd Fort Washington Maryland 20744Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 203-9010
- Alexandria Kidney Center5.39 miles away4141 Duke Street Alexandria Virginia 22304CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (703) 370-8250