Mount Vernon Healthcare Center is a large nursing home located in Alexandria, Virginia. This nursing home is a very solid facility, with an overall grade of B. You can certainly do much worse than this facility. This facility's impressive report card was highlighted by its short-term care rating, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Mount Vernon Healthcare Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
8111 Tiswell Drive,
Alexandria VA 22306
81.69% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home an impressive grade of A for our short-term care grade. Our short-term care scores are considered to be more meaningful for individuals in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes not just nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, we found that this nursing home provided respectable levels of physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that it outperformed the vast majority of nursing homes with 64.6 percent of its patients returning home. This is a significantly higher rate than most facilities.
Adding to this nursing home's list of strengths, it also received an excellent nursing grade. We awarded them an impressive grade of A- in this category. Our nursing rating assesses the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of licensure of the nurses as well as the number of hours spent with residents. This particular nursing home provided 3.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Mount Vernon Healthcare Center?
Turning to another of this nursing home's strengths, it also earned a very impressive inspection rating. In that category, we gave this facility a grade of B+. Inspection ratings are based on datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this category have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we graded was long-term care. It received a lowly F in this area, which is a bottom of the barrel score. We would not necessarily disqualify a nursing home due to one terrible category though. When facilities receive this type of grade in long-term care it is typically a bad sign for resident care and it may mean that the nursing home is not as well-staffed. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 69.818184 percent of its residents. This is several points lower than what we were hoping for. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 1.14 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mount Vernon Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 8.83% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 3.6% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 2.65% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 13.5% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used to treat several conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 21.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are generally given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 4.13% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 91.75% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 16.97% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 23.72% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 1.22 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 23.72 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 11.68 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mount Vernon Healthcare Center, 75.36% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Inova Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.33 miles away2501 Parkers Lane Alexandria Virginia 22306Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 664-7000
- Fort Belvoir Community HospitalAcute Care - Department of Defense 4.08 miles away9300 Dewitt Loop Fort Belvoir Virginia 22060Department of Defense(571) 231-3224
- Fort Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.66 miles away11711 Livingston Road Fort Washington Maryland 20744Voluntary non-profit - Other(301) 292-7000
- Inova Alexandria HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.24 miles away4320 Seminary Rd Alexandria Virginia 22304Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 504-3167
- United Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.53 miles away1310 Southern Avenue Se Washington District of Columbia 20032Proprietary(202) 574-6611
- Virginia Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.91 miles away1701 North George Mason Drive Arlington Virginia 22205Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 558-5000
- Medstar Southern Maryland Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.94 miles away7503 Surratts Road Clinton Maryland 20735Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 868-8000
- Inova Fairfax HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.44 miles away3300 Gallows Road Falls Church Virginia 22042Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 776-4001
- Somatus Dialysis of Mount Vernon0.3 miles away2501 Parkers Lane Suite 100 Alexandria Virginia 22306Dialysis Stations: 12 (703) 721-8075
- Fmc - Fort Belvoir1.83 miles away8796 P Sacramento Dr Alexandria Virginia 22309CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (703) 360-4552
- Franconia Dialysis Center3.17 miles away5695 King Center Dr Ste 105 Alexandria Virginia 22315CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (703) 921-9506
- Friendly Farms Home Dialysis3.31 miles away10905 Fort Washington Road Fort Washington Maryland 20744Dialysis Stations: 5 (301) 292-0540
- Fmc - Fort Foote4.66 miles away8507 Oxon Hill Rd Suite 100 Fort Washington Maryland 20744Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 686-0802
- Us Renal Care Fort Washington Dialysis4.79 miles away10707 Indian Head Highway Fort Washington Maryland 20744Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 292-3610
- Bma - Fort Washington5.12 miles away12780 Old Fort Rd Fort Washington Maryland 20744Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 203-9010
- Alexandria Kidney Center5.39 miles away4141 Duke Street Alexandria Virginia 22304CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (703) 370-8250