Mount Carmel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center is a large non-profit nursing home located in Manchester, New Hampshire. This facility is ranked among the most elite facilities we assessed. This facility received one of the best grades that we offer. Impressively, this matched the average grade of facilities in Manchester, which offers some of the highest graded nursing homes in New Hampshire. If you scroll down, you will see this place's category grades, which appear to be equally strong as its overall score.
Mount Carmel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
235 Myrtle Street,
Manchester NH 03104
75.4% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Inspection grades account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher grades in this category typically have few of these severe deficiencies. This facility was hit with 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered severe. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of these deficiencies to be an immediate threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its top-shelf assessments in other areas, we awarded this facility a grade of A- for our short-term care rating. In our short-term care rating, we attempt to create a fair measure for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at the facility's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. This facility provides more services with registered nurses and physical therapists than most nursing homes we looked at. This is a very favorable sign. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that it outperformed the vast majority of nursing homes in the country in this area with 57.1 percent of its residents returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Mount Carmel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to alert you to the fact that this facility received a superb score of A- in our long-term care category. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. Although we determined this nursing home had an above average quantity of nursing care provided by aids and other nursing staff, we found its vaccine statistics to be somewhat low. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to just 79.250725 percent of its residents. This is one figure we'd love to see this nursing home improve. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
In the last area, this nursing home also was awarded a very strong nursing rating, with a grade of A-. This rounded out a very impressive profile. We scrutinized the skill-level of nurses at the facility, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses spent with patients, in calculating our rating in this area. With 4.9 hours of nursing care per patient each day, this nursing home surpassed the vast majority of facilities. Lastly, we also looked at nursing quality measures in determining our nursing scores. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We view these data points as reliable indicators of the caliber of nursing care provided, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mount Carmel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mount Carmel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 6.32% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percent of long-term stay residents who suffer from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mount Carmel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 5.23% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls resulting in injury are often caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mount Carmel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 2.97% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of long-term residents that have sustained a urinary tract infection. While more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mount Carmel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 17.25% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mount Carmel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 17.14% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mount Carmel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 5.66% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mount Carmel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 95.56% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mount Carmel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 19.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mount Carmel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 24.87% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents that retained mobility levels.
In Mount Carmel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mount Carmel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 24.87 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mount Carmel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 11.97 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mount Carmel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 77.37% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Manchester, NH
- Overall Rating has a grade of A
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Manchester, New Hampshire has 7 other nursing homes
- Catholic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.12 miles away100 Mcgregor Street Manchester New Hampshire 03102Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 668-3545
- Elliot HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.39 miles away1 Elliot Way Manchester New Hampshire 03103Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 669-5300
- Parkland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.85 miles away1 Parkland Drive Derry New Hampshire 03038Proprietary(603) 421-2100
- New Hampshire Hosp-Psych UnitPsychiatric 14.31 miles away36 Clinton Street Concord New Hampshire 03301Government - State(603) 271-5300
- Concord HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.81 miles away250 Pleasant St Concord New Hampshire 03301Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 225-2711
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.98 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.43 miles away172 Kinsley St Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Other(603) 882-3000
- Davita Manchester Dialysis0.54 miles away903 Hanover Street Manchester New Hampshire 03104Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 621-4903
- Manchester Kidney Center0.71 miles away1750 Elm Street Suite 100 Manchester New Hampshire 03103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (603) 647-4042
- Bedford Dialysis Davita3.95 miles away15 Constitution Dr, Suite 1c Bedford New Hampshire 03110Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 471-1904
- Davita Derry Dialysis8.29 miles away1 Action Blvd suite2 Londonderry New Hampshire 03053Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 421-9724
- Fresenius Medical Care Londonderry8.29 miles away1f Common Drive Londonderry New Hampshire 03053Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 434-4517
- Fresenius Medical Care Southern Nh Dialysis Center14.92 miles away586 Nashua St Unit #20 Milford New Hampshire 03055Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 672-6678
- New Hampshire Kidney Center (Fmc)15.05 miles away248 Pleasant Street Pillsbury Bldg., g400 Concord New Hampshire 03301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (603) 224-9996
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire, Inc.15.32 miles away20 Cotton Road Suite 200 Nashua New Hampshire 03063Dialysis Stations: 21 (603) 577-4547