Morton Bakar Center is an average-sized nursing home in Hayward, California. We gave this nursing home a quality overall score of A. As a matter of fact, we ranked it as the best nursing home in Hayward. You really can not do much better than this place. As you can see below, this facility performed equally well in our category grades. We gave it a straight A report card!
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Morton Bakar Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Hayward senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Hayward, California Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
On top of faring well overall, this nursing home received nearly flawless government inspections. Therefore, it earned one of our best scores in that category with an A+. Our inspection ratings account for several factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category generally have very few of these severe deficiencies. This facility received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that CMS didn't deem any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. Nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that category, we gave this facility an A. There are a number of subcategories within this area. Most of the subcategories are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Morton Bakar Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning our third area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our long-term care rating. This is a dominant grade. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is much higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the next area, this facility also performed well in our short-term care category. In fact, we awarded it an A- in this area. This wrapped up a straight A report card. In the category of short-term care, we strive to assess measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Morton Bakar Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Morton Bakar Center, 7.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Morton Bakar Center, 2.2% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . Falls which result in injury are often caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Morton Bakar Center, 0.82% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Additional nurse staffing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Morton Bakar Center, 100% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Morton Bakar Center, 39.15% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Morton Bakar Center, 2.34% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. High rates of depression could be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Morton Bakar Center, 100% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Morton Bakar Center, 9.12% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Morton Bakar Center, 7.09% of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term residents who retained mobility levels.
In Morton Bakar Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Morton Bakar Center, 7.09% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Hayward, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Hayward, California has 15 other nursing homes
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.27 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.3 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 4.11 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.16 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- San Ramon Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.26 miles away6001 Norris Canyon Road San Ramon California 94583Proprietary(925) 275-9200
- Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.84 miles away2000 Mowry Ave Fremont California 94538Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 797-1111
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - FremontAcute Care Hospitals 11.39 miles away39400 Paseo Padre Pkwy Fremont California 94538Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 784-4000
- Hayward Dialysis Center1.39 miles away21615 Hesperian Boulevard Suite F Hayward California 94541CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (510) 780-9094
- South Hayward Dialysis Center1.6 miles away254 Jackson Street Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 583-1255
- East Bay Peritoneal Dialysis1.8 miles away13939 E 14th Street Ste 110 San Leandro California 94578Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 614-1380
- San Leandro Dialysis2.02 miles away15555 East 14th Street Suite 520 San Leandro California 94578CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 317-6510
- Satellite Dialysis West San Leandro3.99 miles away2401 Merced St Suite 110 San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 746-3900
- San Leandro Marina Dialysis Center4.02 miles away2551 Merced St San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 352-1207
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro4.52 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011
- Hayward4.68 miles away1661 Industrial Parkway West Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 266-5743