The Healthcare Center at Moravian Village of Bethlehem is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. It looks like this nursing home is ranked among the highest-rated facilities we looked at. In fact, it was given our absolute highest rating. Not surprisingly, this proved to be the best facility in Bethlehem. One of the major highlights of this facility's exemplary report card is its short-term care rating. We discuss short-term care in the next section.
The Healthcare Center at Moravian Village of Bethlehem
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it earned an A+ in short-term care. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. Our short-term care ratings are important for prospective residents requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. This means a wide range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 7.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
This nursing home also received an A+ nursing grade, making it one of the few nursing homes to receive multiple A+ category grades. Nursing grades are mostly tied to the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving a patient at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about The Healthcare Center at Moravian Village of Bethlehem?
Continuing with its amazing performance, this facility also earned an A+ inspection score. This is based on the facility's recent inspection reports. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this place had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our final area, this facility also excelled in our long-term care category. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- in that category. This wrapped up a straight A report card. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are kept in good health. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is significantly higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Healthcare Center at Moravian Village of Bethlehem Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Healthcare Center at Moravian Village of Bethlehem, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Healthcare Center at Moravian Village of Bethlehem, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who have experienced a fall which caused major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Healthcare Center at Moravian Village of Bethlehem, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Healthcare Center at Moravian Village of Bethlehem, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Healthcare Center at Moravian Village of Bethlehem, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Healthcare Center at Moravian Village of Bethlehem, 3.23% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Healthcare Center at Moravian Village of Bethlehem, 88.5% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Healthcare Center at Moravian Village of Bethlehem, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Healthcare Center at Moravian Village of Bethlehem, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry believe that the ability to move around is vital to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In The Healthcare Center at Moravian Village of Bethlehem, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Healthcare Center at Moravian Village of Bethlehem, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Healthcare Center at Moravian Village of Bethlehem, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Healthcare Center at Moravian Village of Bethlehem, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Bethlehem, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Bethlehem, Pennsylvania has 6 other nursing homes
- St Luke's Hospital BethlehemAcute Care Hospitals 1.77 miles away801 Ostrum Street Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18015Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 954-4000
- St Luke's Hospital - Anderson CampusAcute Care Hospitals 4.41 miles away1872 St Luke's Blvd Easton Pennsylvania 18045Voluntary non-profit - Private(484) 503-3000
- Sacred Heart HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.52 miles away421 Chew Street Allentown Pennsylvania 18102Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 776-4900
- Easton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.79 miles away250 South 21st Street Easton Pennsylvania 18042Proprietary(610) 250-4076
- Lehigh Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.98 miles away1200 South Cedar Crest Boulevard Allentown Pennsylvania 18105Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 402-2273
- St Luke's Warren HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.15 miles away185 Roseberry St Phillipsburg New Jersey 08865Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 847-6700
- St Luke's Quakertown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.86 miles away1021 Park Avenue Quakertown Pennsylvania 18951Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 538-4500
- Palmerton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.94 miles away135 Lafayette Avenue Palmerton Pennsylvania 18071Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 826-3141
- Davita - St. Luke's Bethlehem1.74 miles away1425 8th Avenue Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18018CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (484) 403-4304
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc1.92 miles away1005 Harvard Avenue Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18015Dialysis Stations: 17 (610) 997-8350
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Bethlehem3.66 miles away2014 City Line Road, Suite 102 Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (610) 264-9660
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Fogelsville5.59 miles away7310 Tilghman Street, Suite 100 Allentown Pennsylvania 18106Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 395-1980
- Etowah Dialysis, LLC5.81 miles away1220 3rd Street Whitehall Pennsylvania 18052Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 266-1706
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Whitehall6.41 miles away1320 Mickley Road Whitehall Pennsylvania 18052CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (610) 264-2228
- Etowah Dialysis, LLC7.21 miles away1901 Hamilton St., Suite 200 Allentown Pennsylvania 18104Dialysis Stations: 4 (610) 776-1479
- Davita - St. Luke's Allentown Dialysis7.21 miles away1901 Hamilton St., Suite 100 Allentown Pennsylvania 18104Dialysis Stations: 4 (610) 435-2590