Located in Orange Park, Florida, Moosehaven is one of seven available facilities in the city. It looks like this nursing home is among the best facilities we found. Being awarded an A+ in our rating scheme requires first-rate scores across the board. This proved to be quite a bit better than most of the nursing homes in the city. Headlining this place's remarkable report card is its nursing rating, which we will address in the next section.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to a phenomenal overall grade, this facility also received A+ nursing grade. When determining our nursing scores, we analyze both nursing hours and the training levels of those nurses. This facility provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a system of turning residents even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
An additional reason we assessed this nursing home so favorably is that it was awarded an A+ long-term care grade. This is simply as strong as it gets in this category. Facilities that do well in this category typically provide patients with better supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly is often a life threatening condition for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a nursing home does not roll the dice on this issue. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Moosehaven?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed was short-term care. This facility also received an A+ short-term care grade, rendering it one of the few facilities to receive multiple A+ category scores. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our purpose is to formulate a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from this nursing home. We found that 6.4 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Another impressive feature for this place is its inspection grade. In that category, we gave this nursing home an impressive grade of A, wrapping up its straight A performance. Our inspection ratings are tied to many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This place was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Moosehaven Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Moosehaven, 9.03% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Moosehaven, 2.8% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term residents who have experienced falls which caused severe injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Moosehaven, 1.82% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who sustained urinary tract infections. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Moosehaven, 10.99% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Moosehaven, 21.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Moosehaven, 2.43% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients demonstrating signs of depression. Increased rates of depression could reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Moosehaven, 94.61% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Moosehaven, 13.17% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Moosehaven, 18.15% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Moosehaven, 1.59 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is key to the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Moosehaven, 18.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Moosehaven, 9.19 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Moosehaven, 77.65% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Orange Park, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Orange Park, Florida has 6 other nursing homes
- Orange Park Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.27 miles away2001 Kingsley Ave Orange Park Florida 32073Voluntary non-profit - Other(904) 276-8500
- Nh JacksonvilleAcute Care - Department of Defense 3.01 miles away2080 Child Street Jacksonville Florida 32212Department of Defense(904) 542-7300
- Ascension St Vincent's Clay CountyAcute Care Hospitals 8.87 miles away1670 St Vincents Way Middleburg Florida 32068Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 602-1000
- Ascension St Vincent's SouthsideAcute Care Hospitals 9.24 miles away4201 Belfort Rd Jacksonville Florida 32216Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 296-3700
- Ascension St Vincent's RiversideAcute Care Hospitals 9.63 miles away1 Shircliff Way Jacksonville Florida 32204Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 308-7300
- Memorial Hospital JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 10.25 miles away3625 University Blvd S Jacksonville Florida 32216Proprietary(904) 702-6111
- Baptist Medical Center JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 10.47 miles away800 Prudential Dr Jacksonville Florida 32207Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 202-2000
- Uf Health JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 12.52 miles away655 W 8th St Jacksonville Florida 32209Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 244-0411
- Fresenius Kidney Care Orange Park North0.38 miles away2010 Wells Pond Court Orange Park Florida 32073Dialysis Stations: 13 (904) 264-1101
- Northeast Florida Dialysis Center0.38 miles away2141 Loch Rand Blvd #113 Orange Park Florida 32073CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (904) 272-7331
- Orange Park Kidney Center2.44 miles away2061 Professional Center Dr Orange Park Florida 32073Dialysis Stations: 17 (904) 276-3311
- Ara Collins Road Dialysis Center3.39 miles away6196 Lake Gray Blvd Suite 112 Jacksonville Florida 32244Dialysis Stations: 16 (904) 772-0933
- Fleming Island Dialysis5.46 miles away4575 Us Hwy 17 Unit 301 Fleming Island Florida 32003Dialysis Stations: 12 (904) 215-2476
- Jacksonville Westside Dialysis6.06 miles away5276 Blanding Blvd Suite 26 Jacksonville Florida 32210Dialysis Stations: 20 (904) 573-6405
- Fresenius Kidney Care Clay County6.18 miles away400 College Dr Bldg 400 Middleburg Florida 32068Dialysis Stations: 13 (904) 272-9514
- Nxstage Kidney Care - Jacksonville7.78 miles away2777 University Blvd W #39 Jacksonville Florida 32217Dialysis Stations: 10 (904) 527-5322