Monterey Park Convalescent Hospital is a nursing home located in Monterey Park, California, which has a total of 60,238 people. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B. A score in this range requires respectable scores in most areas. Based on our ratings, this nursing home looks like a good fit for most people. This place was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of our four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Monterey Park Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Monterey Park senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Monterey Park, California Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall score, this nursing home performed even better in the area of inspections which is associated with the nursing home's recent government inspections. In fact, we gave it a grade of A for that category, which is one of our highest grades. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with better grades in this category typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few relatively minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Adding to its strong performance in other areas, we gave this nursing home a grade of B for nursing. Nursing scores are primarily based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a policy of turning residents more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Monterey Park Convalescent Hospital?
Long-term Care Quality
The third category we graded was long-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a decent grade of B-. Long-term care scores are important for people in need of personal care. Once we assessed the quantity of nursing care, we turned to the facility's vaccination record. We were optimistic to learn that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. This place also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed is short-term care. We awarded it a B- in this category. This is a fair grade in this category. In our short-term care grade, we try to create a meaningful gauge for rehabilitation. In this process, we assess a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. It does not look like this facility submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 4.4 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually well below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Monterey Park Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Monterey Park Convalescent Hospital, 5.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Monterey Park Convalescent Hospital, 2.36% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who have had a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Monterey Park Convalescent Hospital, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term care patients who had a urinary tract infection. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Monterey Park Convalescent Hospital, 0% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Monterey Park Convalescent Hospital, 0.69% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Monterey Park Convalescent Hospital, 2.89% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Monterey Park Convalescent Hospital, 100% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Monterey Park Convalescent Hospital, 6.53% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Monterey Park Convalescent Hospital, 5.71% of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Monterey Park Convalescent Hospital, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Monterey Park Convalescent Hospital, 5.71% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Monterey Park Convalescent Hospital, 5.53% of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Monterey Park Convalescent Hospital, 76.22% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.08 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.64 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.76 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.86 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.09 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 6.5 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 7.8 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Davita-Garfield Hemodialysis Center0.06 miles away118 Hilliard Avenue Monterey Park California 91754CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (626) 288-5796
- Rosemead Dialysis Center0.94 miles away7403 Hellman Avenue Rosemead California 91770Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 280-6161
- u.s. Renal Care Rosemead Dialysis1.35 miles away3100 Del Mar Avenue Rosemead California 91770CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 288-7860
- Fmc-San Gabriel Dialysis Center1.4 miles away1801 W. Valley Blvd., Suite 102 Alhambra California 91803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (626) 457-9002
- Fmc-San Gabriel Valley Pd Clinic1.4 miles away1801 W. Valley Blvd., Suite 204 Alhambra California 91803Dialysis Stations: 6 (626) 457-6540
- Fmc-Alhambra1.66 miles away2300 W. Valley Blvd. Alhambra California 91803Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 458-4726
- Davita-Garfield Home Program2.26 miles away228 N. Garfield Avenue, #301 Monterey Park California 91754Dialysis Stations: 4 (626) 288-6379
- Peritoneal Dialysis Center of America-San Gabriel Pc2.45 miles away809 S. Atlantic Blvd., Suite 103 Monterey Park California 91754Dialysis Stations: 2 (626) 576-8556